Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,806 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I delete the option "wipe data/factory reset"?

Tip us?

Rrules
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can I delete the option "wipe data/factory reset"?

Hi, I just want to know if there's a way to remove this option from CWM, just because if someday my phone is stolen (highly likely) I don't want the thief to recover the software that easy. As a last resource I would rather to make impossible to do the hard reset. I would love tu know if you have some other ideas .
Thanks in advance.

jojohnson250
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrules View Post
Hi, I just want to know if there's a way to remove this option from CWM, just because if someday my phone is stolen (highly likely) I don't want the thief to recover the software that easy. As a last resource I would rather to make impossible to do the hard reset. I would love tu know if you have some other ideas .
Thanks in advance.
Can you not use sim lock????

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rrules
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojohnson250 View Post
Can you not use sim lock????

This will remain even with the factory reset?

jojohnson250
Old
Thanks Meter 181
I am pretty sure because a thief will want to change sim so you can't track him down but the phone is locked to your sim and will require your password to insert a new sim so yeah I reckon it will only way to be sure is to test it out yourself

The Following User Says Thank You to jojohnson250 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andr3y29
Old
Thanks Meter 144
If the thief is smart enough to reboot into recovery and Factory Reset, then he is smart enough to reboot into Download Mode and flash another recovery (TWRP, Philz...) that has activated the Factory Reset
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S3 Garnet Red 16GB (GT-I9300)
ROM : L-DROID 2.2.0
By SeniorLimpio
KERNEL: Stock for now
SD: 32GB SanDisk
BATTERY: Stock 2100mAh/ Extended 4800mAh
The Following User Says Thank You to Andr3y29 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jinks69
Old
Thanks Meter 0

Rrules
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojohnson250 View Post
I am pretty sure because a thief will want to change sim so you can't track him down but the phone is locked to your sim and will require your password to insert a new sim so yeah I reckon it will only way to be sure is to test it out yourself

even so, I was searching and there are ways to undo that... for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...nlock-t1683348 so I don't think thats the best answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andr3y29 View Post
If the thief is smart enough to reboot into recovery and Factory Reset, then he is smart enough to reboot into Download Mode and flash another recovery (TWRP, Philz...) that has activated the Factory Reset
Good point, I'm new at this so I did'nt think about that.

So far the only thing that comes to my mind is to glue the sim I really hope there can be some software solution...

jojohnson250
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrules View Post
even so, I was searching and there are ways to undo that... for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...nlock-t1683348 so I don't think thats the best answer

Good point, I'm new at this so I did'nt think about that.

So far the only thing that comes to my mind is to glue the sim I really hope there can be some software solution...
The link you posted was to unlock a locked phone from a network so all other sim can be used and not the one provided with the phone. What I suggested was to go to settings then more then security and set up sim lock, this means if anyone changes the sim on your phone it will require a password, Try it out yourself!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app