Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,641 Members 44,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available?

Tip us?
NikolaMBC01 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available?

After i rooted my SGS3 with latest Jelly Bean firmware, i can't receive updates anymore, every time try to check updates i get "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" Can i fix this one some way without losing root, or i need to unroot my device?

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 577
As JB isn't available yet except for poland then you will need to go back to ICS, reset flash counter and unroot.... Basically you're taking it back to stock.... Then Kies will allow updates, but only to what is currently available for your rom version/country.....
So you could still end up restocking and not being able to upgrade to JB as "There are no updates for your current version"....
The Following User Says Thank You to ultramag69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snabbeltax
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69 View Post
As JB isn't available yet except for poland then you will need to go back to ICS, reset flash counter and unroot.... Basically you're taking it back to stock.... Then Kies will allow updates, but only to what is currently available for your rom version/country.....
So you could still end up restocking and not being able to upgrade to JB as "There are no updates for your current version"....
Hihi, same here. JB is nice but "contacts" and account sync chrashes constantly.
Guess ill have to wait patiently again.
NikolaMBC01 Old
Thanks Meter 0
So far, i do not have any problems with JB, everything works great.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

alvaretto
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaMBC01 View Post
After i rooted my SGS3 with latest Jelly Bean firmware, i can't receive updates anymore, every time try to check updates i get "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" Can i fix this one some way without losing root, or i need to unroot my device?
It is just some kind of disclaimer from Samsung, but if you flash an official rom you'll continue to receive official updates.

uckons
Old
Thanks Meter 0
same i'm also like that after flash JB "Your device has been modified", so i just wipe all my data and reflashed, problem solved, the big problem for is after reflashed JB, stock music played cannot find any music on ext SDCARD

spirytusick
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by uckons View Post
same i'm also like that after flash JB "Your device has been modified", so i just wipe all my data and reflashed, problem solved, the big problem for is after reflashed JB, stock music played cannot find any music on ext SDCARD
I have updated my SGS3 to official UK Jelly Bean OTA update, and after rooting it the software update service complains about the device being modified also. Not too bothered about it at the moment but will probably be a pain in the butt once new updates will be released (although knowing Samsung, it will be quite some time before the next one).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spirytusick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

akrontomaz
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirytusick View Post
I have updated my SGS3 to official UK Jelly Bean OTA update, and after rooting it the software update service complains about the device being modified also. Not too bothered about it at the moment but will probably be a pain in the butt once new updates will be released (although knowing Samsung, it will be quite some time before the next one).
SAME Just got JB update today via KIES, TOP bro

Already rooted with CF auto, is close to stock as possible but no updates same msg.

lordvore
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrontomaz View Post
SAME Just got JB update today via KIES, TOP bro

Already rooted with CF auto, is close to stock as possible but no updates same msg.
I updated to JellyBean using the OTA update file from Cache but through the 'ever root' method of mobile Odin. I also tried Triangle Away but received the same message before and after. I have now also used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper v2.0.3 to temporarily unroot the device but it still says the same message from the update screen.

So much for being friendly to the modding community!

tatz619
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Here's how i fixed my S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaMBC01 View Post
1. You need to unroot your phone.(you could find it in youtube)
2. then perform factory reset

Every bug in the rom fixed and software update works like charm....