Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q]Devil kernel + S3 I9300 stock?

OP maulw

26th March 2014, 12:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Hi.

I have a few questions about the Devil Kernel - http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...528624/page188 - but I just can't post it in there because of my newbie status on the forum (well, and I'm kinda newbie).

Does this kernel works with the stock 4.3 that has just been released this month? (I use a locked GT-I9300 intl from Brazil)
Also, does this kernel works on CM11? I'd say yes as I saw something like this on one of the first posts on that thread.

Regarding dual boot, does this kernel works with the stock 4.3 + CM11?

Just as I said, some newbie questions

Thanks.
26th March 2014, 10:14 AM   |  #2  
coolhof's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brabant.
Thanks Meter: 269
 
779 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Yes it works with 4.3 and cm11.
Just read the treat carefully.

Send From A Devil3 - f2fs - Dualboot Powered Machine
The Following User Says Thank You to coolhof For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
So, basically I can flash my stock back, flash the new kernel and maybe even create a dual boot with CM11?

I am not sure yet if I really want the stock back, but it does have some things I miss - like multi-window. But I do find interesting this dual boot idea - always did, since I used to run both windows and linux on the same machine
26th March 2014, 02:46 PM   |  #4  
SnowPluralism's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Inside Your Mind
Thanks Meter: 1,393
 
1,677 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulw

So, basically I can flash my stock back, flash the new kernel and maybe even create a dual boot with CM11?

I am not sure yet if I really want the stock back, but it does have some things I miss - like multi-window. But I do find interesting this dual boot idea - always did, since I used to run both windows and linux on the same machine

Yes its like that but please make sure to understand how this works
Read all steps

Because dual boot Android is far different from dual booting windows and Android

And if u like multiwindow go for omni ROM its based on kitkat and has similar feature

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SnowPluralism For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th March 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPluralism

Yes its like that but please make sure to understand how this works
Read all steps

Because dual boot Android is far different from dual booting windows and Android

And if u like multiwindow go for omni ROM its based on kitkat and has similar feature

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

I've read the steps, I'm comfortable with proceeding if this is the direction I decide to go to. I did flash other phones before and have some knowledge about it, so my questions now are
- If something goes wrong, I can flash another rom (sotck or custom)?
- When you say that dual boot is dfferent, how different is that? I can assume there is no "grub" menu to chose system, how is it done?

Thanks!
26th March 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #6  
coolhof's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brabant.
Thanks Meter: 269
 
779 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulw

So, basically I can flash my stock back, flash the new kernel and maybe even create a dual boot with CM11?

I am not sure yet if I really want the stock back, but it does have some things I miss - like multi-window. But I do find interesting this dual boot idea - always did, since I used to run both windows and linux on the same machine

Search the devil2 treat for the DEVIL3 kernel.
And flash also the recovery if you want dualboot.
I also have a stock 4.3 and cm11 dualboot.
Read a lot and have fun with dualboot setup.


Send From A Devil3 - f2fs - Dualboot Powered Machine
26th March 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhof

Search the devil2 treat for the DEVIL3 kernel.
And flash also the recovery if you want dualboot.
I also have a stock 4.3 and cm11 dualboot.
Read a lot and have fun with dualboot setup.


Send From A Devil3 - f2fs - Dualboot Powered Machine

Hi - I have downloaded the files from your signature - Devil3.4_0.1.4-i9300-DUAL...something and the recovery one and the DevilTools-1.1.2.
Just not sure about reintalling the stock, I'm enjoying CM11. May give Omni rom a shot on dual boot
So, now the question is, can I install the kernel, recovery and tools even if i'm not going to use dual boot? As per the original thread, it seems there are lots of advantages. Do you guys recommend it?

Thanks again!
26th March 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #8  
coolhof's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brabant.
Thanks Meter: 269
 
779 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Yes, you can use it also without dualboot.
If you are a noob in this stuff I recommend NOT to format to f2fs.
Leave you're partitions to ex4.
To delete a second rom partition you only have to remove the .secondrom from system/data/media.
(Always flash the kernel after installing a new rom)

Send From A Devil3 - f2fs - Dualboot Powered Machine
28th March 2014, 04:05 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Thank you all for your answers so far.

A new question is - does this kernel also works with s4? Both stock and / or custom ROM (CM or Omni)?
28th March 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #10  
coolhof's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brabant.
Thanks Meter: 269
 
779 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulw

Thank you all for your answers so far.

A new question is - does this kernel also works with s4? Both stock and / or custom ROM (CM or Omni)?

No it doesn't work on the s4.
Don't even try.
You can brick you're phone.

Send From A Devil3 - f2fs - Dualboot Powered Machine

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes