Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,588 Members 47,359 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Downgrade to root

Tip us?

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Default [Q] Downgrade to root

I have spent the day to figure out how to root an S3 with 4.3.

Iīm no stranger to flashing but I get confused with all the threads and all the links, stickies and "how toīs" all over the forum.

Can someone please link me to the proper stuff I need?

* I know I have to downgrade via ODIN to be able to gain root and thereby get a custom recovery. But to WHAT version do I need to downgrade to? 4.1.2? 4.2.2?
* Is there an absolute STOCK deodexed 4.3 prerooted firmware that can be flashed after gaining root and custom recovery.

Just to make myself clear... the searchfunction has not been working today, so I have been making my searches via google... and that can be a bummer when looking for some handson instructions.

Can anyone be a gent and provide me with some links?

Best regards
Phones: Sony Xperia Z and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to play around with and a Nokia Lumia 1020 for everyday use at work

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 681
Just flash a custom recovery with odin (I'd suggest philz) then the rooted 4.3 stock rom, you don't need root to do this. Chose the stock rom from several in the general forum.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Really? That easy? Great news!
Phones: Sony Xperia Z and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to play around with and a Nokia Lumia 1020 for everyday use at work

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Just a question... I have to flash the custom recovery and the flash the rooted 4.3 ROM before first boot? I have to enter custom recovery directly and flash the new ROM? Or can I boot the phone with just flashing the custom recovery, and then take my time finding a good ROM while running the stock 4.3...

Sweet jesus... I have been away for too long, damn Windows Phone

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman32 View Post
Just a question... I have to flash the custom recovery and the flash the rooted 4.3 ROM before first boot? I have to enter custom recovery directly and flash the new ROM? Or can I boot the phone with just flashing the custom recovery, and then take my time finding a good ROM while running the stock 4.3...

Sweet jesus... I have been away for too long, damn Windows Phone

Stock rom flash recovery via Odin that's all .
= rooted stock
Custom rom is then flashed whenever via recovery .

STICKYS
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2344125

UNDERSTAND FIRST
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2362743

Network IMEI EFS
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2393289

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 681
You may find that a stock rom will restore stock recovery on first boot, so you may need to flash your new rom straight away.

You could also root your existing rom just by flashing CF autoroot.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Well... everything went fine!

PhilzTouch via ODIN and after that a good 4.3 stock ROM. Just as mentioned above I just had to make sure in recovery that the custom one wouldnīt get overwritten.

I made a full backup... I have also saved that backup om a HD on my PC. However... when I made a backup of my efs-folder I couldnīt find the backup file efterwards. Not even as a hidden file. I choose to make the efs-backup on my SD-card. Any idea where to find it?

Manneman