Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Downgrading from VZN GSIII... Does "Unlocked" mean squat?

OP varxtis

31st March 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

50 posts
My buddy whos on our family plan needs to downgrade from a Galaxy S III to a basic phone. I came across an Unlocked AT&T Samsung SGH-A157. When I called Verizon they used a blanket statement of "AT&T uses completely different technology than verizon, so their phones won't work on Verizon". I tried to explain that it's Unlocked and is CDMA based, so it should allow the sim card if I understand things correctly. He said "It doesn't matter if it's unlocked, AT&Ts technology is different then our." When I asked what technology exactly is different, he replied "Everything". He lost ALL credibility with that me for that statement. I constantly run into crap like this with Verizon... everything else is inferior, and only Verizon exists in the universe. Also, one MUST have what that absolutely don't need and we WILL lie to you and trick you into buying it or signing up for it even if you disagree!

Anyway. Is there any truth to this guys statement? I thought the whole point of "Unlocking" a device /phone was to make it work on another network.
Do I legitimately have to restrict my search for a Verizon flip/basic phone?
This brings up another concern because the plan was to get him a phone, deactivate his current Galaxy S3, activate the Unlocked phone, Unlock the Galaxy S3, and then sell it to some friends who have Metro PCS.
Also, Ive been told by some Verizon associates that I should be looking for GSM phones because we have Sim cards. But then other representatives say our phones are CMDA and thus should be looking for CMDA phones. Is there any consistent formula to this?
31st March 2014, 06:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag City of oranges
Thanks Meter: 354

747 posts
This forum is for i9300 international variant... I think you should ask a moderator to move your thread to your phone's forum in the appropriate section...

Sent from my GT-I9300
31st March 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #3  
Flag SiN CiTY
Thanks Meter: 58

265 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by varxtis

Anyway. Is there any truth to this guys statement? I thought the whole point of "Unlocking" a device /phone was to make it work on another network.

I'm not in the US so I'm not 100% on this but the SGH-A157 is GSM and Verizon uses CDMA tech. Afaik, they are not interchangeable.
Unlocking a phone does not change the radio tech used in the device.

You can probably shift between AT&T and T-mobile, but not CDMA carriers like Sprint or Verizon.

~ RazorMC
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread