Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,124 Members 40,704 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why dualboot?

Tip us?

k-semler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 188

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Why dualboot?

Is there a reason to dual boot on a phone? Why not just flash a new ROM if a person wants to try a new ROM? Is there really a point in having multiple ROMs on the phone? I could understand it if it were possible to flash an entirely seperate OS to it, but since android is android is android, why bother doing it?
Phone: Samsung SGS III International i9300
ROM: OmniROM Official NIGHTLY
Firmware: 4.4.4
Baseband: UBUGNF1
Bootloader: XXELLA
Kernel: 3.0.101 Boeffla-Kernel-2.4-beta2-Omnirom-NG-i9300-20140805@andip71 #1
O/C Level: 1600 MHz
Media Card: Samsung 64GB Class 10 MicroSDHC
Battery: 7000 mAh ZeroLemon

earthtk
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Reason is simple. You currently got a stable rom but you wanna try another rom to make sure if everything goes well before porting over . This saves a lot of time in restoring your backup if the "new" rom you are trying is problematic or you dislike it.

eatsleep
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthtk View Post
Reason is simple. You currently got a stable rom but you wanna try another rom to make sure if everything goes well before porting over . This saves a lot of time in restoring your backup if the "new" rom you are trying is problematic or you dislike it.
I had dual booted before....
I flashed neat Rom as secondary with sammy 4.3 as primary and baam! Error state 7....
So the point is, its not good practice (the trying ROM part, otherwise I love dual booting)
Make sure to make a nand backup

Well,

I db to get the sammy features along with aosp, like one would be set up for battery, other for daily use etc...
Unused Ram is wasted Ram

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy SIII Gt-i9300
Archidroid 1.7.16
Archikernel 1.3
Twrp 2.7.100

srv.abhishek
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-semler View Post
Is there a reason to dual boot on a phone? Why not just flash a new ROM if a person wants to try a new ROM? Is there really a point in having multiple ROMs on the phone? I could understand it if it were possible to flash an entirely seperate OS to it, but since android is android is android, why bother doing it?
my two cents
one of the reasons is that Sammy ROM is not that frequently updated.. another reason is that kitkat is still being improved.. so what do you do when you want to try kitkat too and also have need for longer battery life, better camera etc.
Device: Samsung GT-i9300 running SONIC OPEN KANG PROJECT, powered by ZeroLemon 7000mAh battery.

Can't help it!!