Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 44,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S3 recieving no mobile signal

Tip us?

Explowsun
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Galaxy S3 recieving no mobile signal

Hey guys,

I've been having a problem recently that i'm rather stumped about, i've been trying to fix it for the past few days, looking pretty much everywhere on the net for a fix but this is pretty much a last resort before i take it to a random shop and have them attempt to fix it.

So basically i had a galaxy S3, it broke and a close friend of mine had one sitting around gathering dust so he gave it to me to use. The problem is that for some reason this phone refuses to get any mobile signal. It connects to my WiFi without issue however it always has no service and says it can only perform emergency calls. At first i figured it may have just been my SIM card so i've tried it with 3 different SIM cards with 3 different network carriers (I've been informed that the phone is definitely network unlocked too) i've tried to manually connect to the network through the mobile network settings but that seems to bring me no luck either. The phone was rooted and whatnot but i've attempted to flash a stock ROM onto it to see if it was a ROM issue but that seems to have done nothing to help. Now i'd consider myself rather tech savvy but i'm a novice when it comes to tinkering with mobiles so any help or advice you guys could give to possibly resolve my issue would be greatly appreciated.

After writing this and performing one last search so that i don't make a complete fool of myself i've stumbled upon modem flashing so this may be something that i attempt but i'm currently trying to figure out how it all works. If you need any more information i'll happily get back to you as quickly as i can.

Quick things to close up to save time: It's running 4.3. It has an IMEI number matching that on the box. Everything else on the phone working 100% just not able to get mobile signal. Not currently rooted.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 673
EFS folder corruption is the usual cause of network issues, baring hardware problems.

Hundreds of similar posts, sticky in general forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Explowsun
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
EFS folder corruption is the usual cause of network issues, baring hardware problems.

Hundreds of similar posts, sticky in general forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
After looking into it the EFS folder seems more related to IMEI issues which i do not have. As for the hundreds of other posts i've looked through plenty but many of them are unresolved, the problem is unrelated to mine or i've tried the proposed solutions inside. I've been told the phone worked perfectly, he just switched it out because he had a note to use instead. So i'm not sure if it'd be a hardware issue and i'm not exactly sure of how to diagnose that either. However, if you know of a post that has a lot of proposed solutions i'd be more than happy to read through it.