Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 42,849 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Excuse me, how would i create a NOT-bootlooping backup with Philz 5?

Tip us?

alpha-ro
Old
(Last edited by alpha-ro; 11th January 2014 at 10:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Excuse me, how would i create a NOT-bootlooping backup with Philz 5?

First of all, sorry if my question is one of many repetitions, but i just want to make sure i'm doing all well

So, a week ago, i decided to stop flashing custom roms since i never got satisfied with any of them...mainly because i always lose some of the samsung goodies such as smart stay, Settings Menu Layout or even if the included stock samsung camera were missing the default 'long-press to multiple shots' ability. So i'll keep the stock S3 JB 4.1.2 rom, but i installed siyah kernel to have more control over the low-system settings.

At an initial point, i thought that my phone would be safe if i didn't play with several custom/aosp roms everyday..., but i've encountered many apps that say they could break or bootloop my device, so i don't want to live a 'don't touch anything' life because i think that would be really boring and i just want to get my S3 to my very own 'best' state.

Now, the last (well, the ONLY) time i tried to make a nandroid backup, i was using the philz_touch_5.06.1 recovery for GT-i9300, but...since then, i'm afraid of nandroid backups...

The problem is that the phone got into bootloop, but for me it was ridiculous, because that happened JUST AFTER the completion of the backup, i admit that i before i went into the custom nandroid backup settings and checked the option 'backup /preload'..., do u think that was the problem? i feel like every noob that ticks something without even knowing what is it about..., forgive me plz.

Now, my phone is working ok, but i would like to make a full backup (including kernel if possible) just without getting into bootloop, so, what would you recommend? swithing back to the original CWM? which options may i disable/enable before making the backup?

I would test it by myself, but i'm afraid of having to reinstall everything again...

Ahh, and just another question..., i got a 32gb microsd Class 10, so i would like to use 'ExtSd2InternalSd' solution to automatically install big games and other involved things to the extSd and leave the IntSd just to record FullHd and maybe, a litte bit of swap, would this procedure break the corresponding External/Internal Sd/storage in Philz? (or CWM : P). For example, i don't know if after this, i would try to format the internal sdcard and philz would just format the external one...

So, here are my system specs:

ROM: (Stock) I9300UBEMH2_I9300UVOEMH1_ARO (from Argentina)
Android version: 4.1.2
Kernel: Siyah Kernel 1.9.1
Recovery: philz_touch_5.06.1-i9300

Thanks in advance!

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4416
Nandroid via Philz

recovery
backup and restore
backup to ext sd card

alpha-ro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan View Post
Nandroid via Philz

recovery
backup and restore
backup to ext sd card
Thanks! It worked, i've made a full backup to external sd and then restored it, the phone (at least within the same rom) boots ok

Sorry for taking too long to reply but i've been a little busy editing some shots made with the phone. Thanks again, really!