Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Extreme infinite loop - restart won't stop, power button works

Tip us?

Aoi v1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Extreme infinite loop - restart won't stop, power button works

Hello guys, I'll try to be as brieff as possible:

My cousin has a SGS3, which suddenly started showing the power options screen (when you long press power button). Now his phone restarts on its own every time. When you insert the battery, it turns on by itself. If you try to access download mode or recovery mode, it does it but restarts again. I read it may be the power button is not working properly, but I dissassembled the phone and the switch is works normally (it's not broken, either stuck). I read several solutions about clearing cache and stuff, but it just keeps restarting! Like if someone were pushing the powerbutton every time. Btw, he discovered he can turn the phone on and actually stop the phone from restarting if he continously presses the power button and menu button alternatively without stopping (which is useless). When he stops doing that, 3 secs later, it restarts again. Any suggestions?

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 672
It's a hardware fault, did you test the button with a meter?

If yes then something else is shorted, to power on when the battery is inserted.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Aoi v1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Ah, so this is merely hardware. I did not test it, but now it seems clear something is wrong on the inside (which, unfortunately, I cannot help with). Thanks mate!
Tags
galaxy s3, galaxy siii, infinite loop