Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,265 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Large Files to SDcard - Impossible Via Phone

Tip us?

Spoony.dan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Large Files to SDcard - Impossible Via Phone

I like to keep some HD movies on my SD card. While 720 or 1080p isn't necessary on the phone I use it to playback via HDMI to large screens.
Most files are 4GB+ and I'd like to put them on the SD card which is formatted exFat and can accept the files (windows can copy onto fine)

The problem is Air Kies or Airdroid dont' give access to the external SD card so they see useless.

Using the cable (MTP) I can copy large files to the phone storage but to the SD card storage one gets an error

"Cannot copy *filename*"
It's file size is larger than the device limit.

So It seems the phone is telling the PC a limit. The phone is too stupid to realize the card is in exFat and can accept the file.

It's a factory Jelly Bean rom, I'd rather not root or put custom firmware on if I can avoid it. Just looking for a work around without having to take the card out, find a micro SD adapter, put it in my laptop and copy via wifi (slow) form my media PC.

So much for Androids 'drag and drop' simplicity when using a cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spoony.dan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lelinuxien52
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Default JB Kernel from Samsung doesn't load exFAT module when the smartphone starts.

You can use a custom kernel for that, like Siyah 1.7 :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1709686

In the features list, we have :
•Samsung proprietary ExFat modules are loaded. Don't ask about ExFat support for aosp roms in this thread.
Device : Sony Xperia Z1 (Black - International version C6903)
Current : Android JellyBean 4.4.4 -> Stock ROM : 14.4.A.0.108 - Root (Towelroot exploit) / Bootloader locked - but unlockable (TA partition saved)
Nokia 3310 > Sanyo S750 > Sony Ericsson K610i > Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic > Nokia N900 > Samsung Galaxy S3 > Sony Xperia Z1

If I help you, give me a "Thanks".
The Following User Says Thank You to lelinuxien52 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spoony.dan
Old
(Last edited by Spoony.dan; 5th November 2012 at 09:38 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Cheers,

If that is the case, how does the Samsung Factory JB Rom/Kernel then read & write to the exFat SD without any problem? Ie I can copy anything (10GB MKV's etc) to the SD card via the PC and put it in the phone and it works fine.

What your saying does sort of make sense in that the MTP driver/whatever within the phone knows nothing about exFat and assumes Fat32 and as such does not allow over size files to be written to the SD card.
(Out of curiosity what file system does the phone storage it self use?)

However as the card can be read etc via the phone, it must have exFat ability to do this?
Have they just left exFat ability 'partly' there but left other features of the phone (ie MTP transfer) unaware of it? So much fail! haha

I'm certain before updating I was able to large files without a problem? Have Samsung crippled the phone with JB updates?
I'm starting to think the ICS was better, better standby battery etc, issues like this etc.

I'll look at the custom rom. Kind of silly one has to hack their phone with 2 year warranty to get abilities that were previously available, well done Samsung haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spoony.dan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]