OP Gorgtech

8th November 2013, 10:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 769

677 posts
More
Hello,

I´ve done some testing to figure out what causes the "wake up lag" on the latest Samsung JB 4.3 Firmware. This Firmware is unfinished as many of you may have noticed.

There are a few missing features or semi broken.

Ok, let´s start with some notices, on some devices you can notice a wake up lag when trying to wake your phone up. It may take several seconds for the screen to appear and to react.

There are a few possibilities to at least greatly reduce the wakeup time:

You´ll need to have a rooted Firmware installed and Trickster Mod ( any similar app will also work ).

These are the methods I´ve tried and figured out:

1) Some people suggest to change the used CPU governor from PegasusQ to ondemand.

While this actually helps to reduce the lag, it is a very bad idea. Ondemand is a generic governor in the linux kernel and does not support CPU Hotplugging. This will result in either a way to big battery drain since the cores will tend to run at full speed most the time, even in idle situations or severe lags.

2) Samsung introduced in the JB 4.2.1 , 4.2.2 and now 4.3 Firmware the usage of zRAM to his kernel.

While zRAM can actually help to improve multitasking, it also needs some extra cpu power which can also cause a higher battery drain. ( which would be very low and not noticeable at all if implemented the right way )

You can disable zRAM with Trickster Mod or any other, similar app. I´ve noticed that by doing this, the wakeup lag was greatly reduced and nearly gone. It takes about 1-2 seconds for the screen to turn on again.

To make sure you´ve disabled zRAM, use a terminal emulator and type "free".

3) Use an alternative kernel: Samsung has released the required kernel sources for JB 4.3 very fast this time.

Yank555, a well known and skilled developer has already built the first custom kernel for JB 4.3. By installing this kernel and using a different cpu governor than PegasusQ ( eg. zzmoove ), you will also notice a greatly reduced wakeup lag and also a better battery consumption.

Get this kernel directly from Yank555 here, you´ll have to create a forum account first:

http://yank555-lu.net/viewtopic.php?p=3#p3

Notice: If this kernel breaks your root, you´ll have to install this package again:

http://download.chainfire.eu/345/

Hopefully you´ll manage to reduce the wakeup lag by trying my methods

Feel free to leave your comments and tell me what worked out best for you.
Last edited by Gorgtech; 8th November 2013 at 10:57 AM.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Gorgtech For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:27 AM   |  #2  
Flag Kraków
Thanks Meter: 2,346

1,202 posts
Thumbs down
Creating a separate forum and not releasing sources as gpl for one kernel is such a lame ass move.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to victorator For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:33 AM   |  #3  
Flag ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) U WANT MY LOCATION?
Thanks Meter: 1,486

3,966 posts
More
Yes, i feel great improvement with Yank's kernel about wake up lag.

Thx for the info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HC4Life For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:36 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 456

720 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi Victorator,
Please don't judge about this topic when you don't know the history and why yank made this decision. If you followed other kernel threads you had seen that yank is a role model when it is about helping and sharing.

Best regards,
Matt

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maddes1402 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 11:44 AM   |  #5  
Flag Seoul
Thanks Meter: 525

1,006 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorator

Creating a separate forum and not releasing sources as gpl for one kernel is such a lame ass move.

Yank? He shares more than anybody here. Everyone uses his zzmoove setup. Plus, he used to have a thread here before AndreiLux kept on harassing him. That was the last straw for him.

It's his decision to not post here. It kinda sucks but we should respect it at least.
Last edited by jinosong; 8th November 2013 at 11:47 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jinosong For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 12:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
I also noticed if you are using WiFi - change advanced settings - set from DHCP to Static.

There was still a small screen on lag (about 1 second) but significantly less then with DHCP.
8th November 2013, 03:35 PM   |  #7  
Flag The Land of Hornbill...
Thanks Meter: 638

899 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinosong

Yank? He shares more than anybody here. Everyone uses his zzmoove setup. Plus, he used to have a thread here before AndreiLux kept on harassing him. That was the last straw for him.

It's his decision to not post here. It kinda sucks but we should respect it at least.

Accidentally press thanks button on the post above. Annoying xda app.

Big plus 1 for your comments. Wonder if OP got permission from yank to post his kernel here. Whatever the reasons and whatever arguments involved, we should respect his decision which clearly stated in his forum. Furthermore, this thread doesn't belong here imho, no development thus should be in general.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
8th November 2013, 03:40 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Nuremberg
Thanks Meter: 769

677 posts
More
JP doesn´t mind if I post a link to his forum, for the guys who want to use his kernel. However, he doesn´t accept hot links directly to his webspace or alternative links to other webspace..

I respect his work and have mentioned his kernel in a way which is acceptable to all of us. Just in case JP doesn´t want his work to be mentioned, I´m going to remove the link to his forum.
8th November 2013, 04:15 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 89

1,006 posts
Are there anyway to fix app opening lag. Specially dialler, gallery.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to android addicts For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2013, 04:51 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Annandale N.J.
Thanks Meter: 3,972

4,156 posts
More
Im running his 4.3 release on Omega v51 (4.3) currently in beta stage and its great.Was a big fan of his work while he was here on XDA and followed him to his site to continue using his work too on my S3 through-out 4.1.2.Shame he had to leave like that but at least he still Devs.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fix, jelly bean 4.3, samsung mj9 firmware, wake up lag
Previous Thread Next Thread