Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,054 Members 46,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing new rom after IMEI repair corrupts IMEI

Tip us?

Knuth91
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Flashing new rom after IMEI repair corrupts IMEI

greetings, ive read several threads about the IMEI and efs thing but unfortunately i havent found a solution for my problem yet.

Ive lost my IMEI because i deleted my efs folder from the root folder of my phone (galaxy s3) and i had no backup. Someone restored the IMEI with Zbox or Octopusbox (not sure which one it was) and everything worked fine. So i made an efs backup and flashed Cyanogenmod, but after flashing the Rom my IMEI was lost again (0049...) and the phone couldnt find a network. Restoring the efs backup did not work and so i had to go back to stock and let the guy restore the IMEI again.

And here comes my question: I am currently on stock rom with rooted kernel (havent flashed any rom since the second restore because i dont want to risk losing the IMEI again) and i really like to change the Rom because you know stock rom is kinda bad. Does anyone have a clue what i need to look out for or why my IMEI gets corrupted on flashing another Rom?

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 691
What version of firmware did it come back from the repair with?

Usually a poor repair will install an older firmware, with efs v1, as boxes won't work on v2. Trying to update to a newer firmware, v2, will corrupt the imei.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Knuth91
Old
(Last edited by Knuth91; 10th May 2014 at 09:23 PM.) Reason: forgot to post Firmware
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
What version of firmware did it come back from the repair with?

Usually a poor repair will install an older firmware, with efs v1, as boxes won't work on v2. Trying to update to a newer firmware, v2, will corrupt the imei.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
the firmware wasnt changed at all, it was UGMK6 stock with CF-rooted Kernel. the IMEI got restored via samsung tool on my pc and it got connected to the box via UsbOverEthernet client. The console only showed like:

-checking root access
-writing IMEI to phone
-patching modem
-ok

is there a way to check if i have efs v1 or v2?