[Q] Flashing new rom after IMEI repair corrupts IMEI

OP Knuth91

10th May 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wuppertal
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
greetings, ive read several threads about the IMEI and efs thing but unfortunately i havent found a solution for my problem yet.

Ive lost my IMEI because i deleted my efs folder from the root folder of my phone (galaxy s3) and i had no backup. Someone restored the IMEI with Zbox or Octopusbox (not sure which one it was) and everything worked fine. So i made an efs backup and flashed Cyanogenmod, but after flashing the Rom my IMEI was lost again (0049...) and the phone couldnt find a network. Restoring the efs backup did not work and so i had to go back to stock and let the guy restore the IMEI again.

And here comes my question: I am currently on stock rom with rooted kernel (havent flashed any rom since the second restore because i dont want to risk losing the IMEI again) and i really like to change the Rom because you know stock rom is kinda bad. Does anyone have a clue what i need to look out for or why my IMEI gets corrupted on flashing another Rom?
10th May 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 711

3,229 posts
What version of firmware did it come back from the repair with?

Usually a poor repair will install an older firmware, with efs v1, as boxes won't work on v2. Trying to update to a newer firmware, v2, will corrupt the imei.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
10th May 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wuppertal
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer

What version of firmware did it come back from the repair with?

Usually a poor repair will install an older firmware, with efs v1, as boxes won't work on v2. Trying to update to a newer firmware, v2, will corrupt the imei.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

the firmware wasnt changed at all, it was UGMK6 stock with CF-rooted Kernel. the IMEI got restored via samsung tool on my pc and it got connected to the box via UsbOverEthernet client. The console only showed like:

-checking root access
-writing IMEI to phone
-patching modem
-ok

is there a way to check if i have efs v1 or v2?
Last edited by Knuth91; 10th May 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: forgot to post Firmware
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread