Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,034 Members 47,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do I format my internal storage (Full Format)

Tip us?

ricochet69
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Phone How do I format my internal storage (Full Format)

Hey Guys,

Im selling my phone and did a factory reset and want to do a full wipe of my internal storage before selling my phone. I want to do a format where someone wont be able to download a file recovery app and look at all my photos, etc. Basically id like to find an app (and i dont care if it takes ages to run) that will fill my storage with random data and do a format.

Thanks!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ricochet69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tkalli
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet69 View Post
Hey Guys,

Im selling my phone and did a factory reset and want to do a full wipe of my internal storage before selling my phone. I want to do a format where someone wont be able to download a file recovery app and look at all my photos, etc. Basically id like to find an app (and i dont care if it takes ages to run) that will fill my storage with random data and do a format.

Thanks!!!
=====================================
Nexus5/16GB_Mahdi ROM(4.4.4)_Franco Kernel r57
Nexus 4/16GB_Mahdi ROM(4.4.4)-Franco r209
Nexus 7 LTE Stock 4.4.2-KOT49H Franco r16
Support xda and Get a Star here

The Following User Says Thank You to tkalli For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ricochet69
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkalli View Post
ok thanks ill test it on my S2 and get back

ricochet69
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
ok i tried what you sent on, and although this does a wipe. It doesnt seem to write to all sectors to ensure the internal storage is fully wiped. I did a full wipe using CWM and then used a program called diskdigger and it was still able to pick up photos that were "deleted" from my device.

Can anyone advise an app or program that will fully wipe my internal storage (fills each sector with random data)
The Following User Says Thank You to ricochet69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

longjump
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Any reply for Ricochet69? I am also having the same question.

becman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default yep

mount usb storage, run any eraser type programs available to you on the mounted drive (like eraser.heidi.ie). In a bind you could also encrypt it using truecrypt and choose the method that will format all areas with random data. You could also pull from /dev/random and pipe it to the card to pseudo-wipe it (something like dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/whateveryoursdcardmountis bs=1M)

Myscha
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I've found that flashing a stock rom and making a factory reset + wipe cache + wipe dalvik prior to that does the trick. Dunno if it's what you are looking for, though.

colint3
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet69 View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks!!!
Use this Android_Revolution_HD_Super_Wipe_Galaxy_S3.zip. then install new rom from external sdcard.

regards

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to colint3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

longjump
Old
Thanks Meter 0
and what about the internal memory? Is factory reset enough or not finally?

peter-k
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkalli View Post
No, it was not.
"I don't think we need comments/discussions on rules/guidelines."

Tags
format, internal, recovery, storage, wipe