Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,077 Members 37,919 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

System freezes... a lot!

Tip us?

ragnus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default System freezes... a lot!

Hi,

Before creating this topic I tried to run some research but I haven't found anything useful that would explain my phones recent behavioural problems. The problem with my i9300 is that the phone freezes at random while Android is operating. This happens in settings, while apps get updated, when getting phone calls, when opening an app, when registering a google account (new setup), when opening SMS app... The sreen stops responding, none of the hardware keys do anything and all I can do is take out the battery. It's just crazy and does not seem to have any rules to this madness. The problem started after flashing a new version of Sentinelrom (and CMW supporting android 4.4.2 installations). This is what I already tried to troubleshoot/resolve:
- flashing another recovery (now on latest PhilzTouch)
- flashing other roms (UltimaAOSP Valhalla, latest CM11 nightly, CM10.2 stable, Slimkat ROM) with full wipes, dalvik cache cleanup etc.
- flashing boefla kernel (during Slimkat tests)
- formating \modem
- formatting externalSD (was and is on exFAT)
- taking out externalSD for a longer period
- restoring apps from google instead of titanium backup
- not restoring any apps and settings from google
- installing apps selectivly

Nothing helped although the phone was running most stable on UltimaAOSP Valhalla (3 freezes during one day). The freeze never happened during playing a movie or listening to music. The freeze never happened while in recovery mode.

Does anyone have any other suggestion on what I can do? Any input appreciated!

mischa_martin
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Maybe your device is affected of the Sudden Death Syndrome.
Try eMMC brickbug Check from Google Play.
The Following User Says Thank You to mischa_martin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ragnus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa_martin View Post
Maybe your device is affected of the Sudden Death Syndrome.
Try eMMC brickbug Check from Google Play.
Thanks for input. I run the check. The chip may be affected by sudden death, but all of the roms I've tested (now testing Android Revolution based on 4.3 stock - 3 freezes just today) have the fix implemented. Also I have had this phone for almost 2 years now. The internal memory check within this app also found no errors. So I guess it's not related to SDS.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 683
Freezing is usually due to nand memory having bad blocks, read the freezing thread in general forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.