Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,684 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Frequently Asked Questions

Tip us?

Zatta
Old
(Last edited by Zatta; 9th July 2013 at 12:56 AM.)
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1403
Question Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
Samsung Galaxy S III - International GT-I9300

This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.

Q1: Root my Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300?
There are more than one way that leads to Rome:
Q2: How should I flash my custom ROM?
You usually flash ROM's in a custom Recovery. On the Samsung Galaxy S recoveries are situated on a separate partition. Unlike previous Smsung Galaxy S devices the recoveries for the Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 is NOT part of the kernel. They can be flashed through ODIN or through another custom recovery.
Q3: How can I return to stock ROM?
There can be a need to return to stock ROM, for example when you need to return your device for warranty. This one seems to be very frequently asked and @doovd made this great guide.
Q4: What is ODIN?
Odin is a leaked tool from Samsung. It is used to flash firmwares to phones. There are more than one how-to's covering the use of Odin, this is one of them. Also found using the XDA WIKI.
Q5: How do I unlock my bootloader?
On this device (actually, on all Samsung devices) there is no locked bootloader so there is no need to unlock it!
Q6: I have heard about EFS. Why is this so important?
/EFS is a partition on your phone where your IMEI code is stored. Without it your phone is an expensive PDA. Make sure to have a backup of this partition on a separate device.
Q7: I am looking for the best ROM, which should I choose?
ROMs come in two flavours. CM based ROMS and Samsung based ROM's. While CyanogenMod is completely open source, several derrivates come from it. AOKP, ParanoidAndroid and maybe more. These ROMs do not have the coodies Samsung delivered in their Touchwizzzz, like Svoice, Smart Stay and what not. On the other hand, they are gererally speaking more smooth.
The choise is up to you. There is no such thing as the best rom, it is a subjective matter. Please, also read this sticky thread in the General section.
Q8: Where are the development options?
Since Android 4.2 they are hidden for the normal user. We, XDA users are NOT normal users . They show up after tapping 7 times on the build number under settings-about the phone-buildnumber.
Q9: How to I enter Download Mode and Recovery?
Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.
Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home, and power until you see the green dude.
Recovery: Hold Volume up, home, and power for about 5 seconds then release all buttons. This might take a couple of tries.
Q10: What is this 'Flash Counter' everybody is talking about?
Your phone's flash counter is triggered when it detects custom firmwares. This is Samsung's way of knowing that you have modded your device. But thanks to the awesome people at XDA, there are ways around this. Refer to This Thread.
Q11: What is ADB and how do I use it?

[GUIDE] ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone
Q12: How to get a logcat if I'm asked for it?
How to read a logcat/ Troubleshoot your own issues!
Q13: TitaniumBackup can't find my backups anymore (or has gone missing by itself)

Afer upgrading to JB 4.2 your forgot to upgrade your recovery. Older recoveries can't handle the multiuser support on the sdcards so your data got shifted to a 0 folder again and again, resulting in /sdcard/0/0/0.... etc. That is where your backups have gone too! In Titanium Backup's setting you can define the backup location. Point it to the correct location and get your backups back.
Q14: I have searched everywhere and still can't find an answer to my question..?
Have you really searched everywhere? Google? Asked in the thread of which your question pertains to? Read the stickies? If you have honestly spent more than 5-10 minutes searching for an answer, post a new thread in the q&a section.
This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to Zatta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zatta
Old
(Last edited by Zatta; 15th February 2013 at 01:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1403
Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread. More Frequenty Asked Questions and their answers are welcome here and I will add them to the OP.

EnemyOfGlaDOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1286
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Maybe you can add the FAQ: How do I go back to stock? That question gets asked A LOT

<sent from my Nexus 4>

..New to XDA-Developers? Read This

my current devices
-OPPO X909- Omni nightlies
-Google Nexus 7 (2013 LTE)- Bone Stock
-Google Nexus 5- bone stock
-OPPO N1- Omni nightlies

GoogleNow/voice search Tricks and Tips
Need Ideas for your NFC enabled device?

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4417
The real need is not a sticky or a faq its getting the ffffff to read them first .

jje

Zatta
Old
Thanks Meter 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreym View Post
Maybe you can add the FAQ: How do I go back to stock? That question gets asked A LOT
Thanks for the idea! Please feel free to submit more, together with the answer please
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan View Post
The real need is not a sticky or a faq its getting the ffffff to read them first .
If there is no faq then how to get them to read it first?
The Following User Says Thank You to Zatta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fatiherkoc
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Ynt: Frequently Asked Questions

Good job. Ty...

GT-I9300 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi
http://www.nurdersi.com/resim/secere-i-hilkat-ingilizce

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatta View Post
If there is no faq then how to get them to read it first?

My point is that there are already FAQS and Guides stickied that are unread .All bar question 12 have been posted for a long long time in the stickies .

But i will be honest i have no idea at all how mods can prevent this forum from degenerating even further .

Possible duplication of sticky s in both General and Q&A may help .

jje

krs360
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan View Post
My point is that there are already FAQS and Guides stickied that are unread .All bar question 12 have been posted for a long long time in the stickies .

But i will be honest i have no idea at all how mods can prevent this forum from degenerating even further .

Possible duplication of sticky s in both General and Q&A may help .

jje
It's been a long time since I registered, but is there some kind of big splash screen that pops up saying read the FAQ/stickies? If not, there should be!

And it should be like one of those annoying t&c's things on windows apps that won't let you past until you have scrolled down.

In fact, you should have to read instructions, saying things like search/faq/stickies etc, then you have to answer 5 questions correctly before you can register!

The Following User Says Thank You to krs360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uzzu786
Old
(Last edited by uzzu786; 24th February 2013 at 03:07 PM.) Reason: I want ans to direct approch to my mail id
Thanks Meter 0
Default Need help plzzz mail me ans...

I want to ask that when i dail number and send call my note 2goes to vibration..can u plzzz tell me whats the prob...mu email id is love4u80@hotmail.com

Zatta
Old
Thanks Meter 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzzu786 View Post
I want to ask that when i dail number and send call my note 2goes to vibration..can u plzzz tell me whats the prob...mu email id is love4u80@hotmail.com
If you have read Q12, you would have gone to the Note2 section instead of the i9300 one. And I have no idead what you are asking, let alone the answer.

Tags
faq gt-i9300
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe