Galaxy S3 no battery life. Confusing me

Search This thread

badgeronimous

May 30, 2014
Hi there,

My friend has an S3, and we are baffled to the problem.

Basically the phone has 3-4 hrs battery life from a full charge. We tried a hard reset, new battery, app killers, disabling apps, virus scans, adware scans, etc. No avail. It just eats battery on or off.

The phone does run very hot, just sitting there the temperature is up around 50°c. The SD card also won't register.

Has the handset developed a fault?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1401442575836.jpg
    1401442575836.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 1401442586321.jpg
    1401442586321.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 1401442598713.jpg
    1401442598713.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 172

AssassinGEO

Sep 12, 2013
Tbilisi
Hi there,

Basically the phone has 3-4 hrs battery life from a full charge. We tried a hard reset, new battery, app killers, disabling apps, virus scans, adware scans, etc. No avail. It just eats battery on or off.

The phone does run very hot, just sitting there the temperature is up around 50°c. The SD card also won't register.

Of couse. Faulty chip.

buddybin

Mar 12, 2012
Roi-ed
Hi there,

stock rom ?
use better battery stat monitor wake lock and disable service that wake your phone

badgeronimous

May 30, 2014
Yes stock Rom. Phone hasn't been molested.

As said even at rest, just sitting, the bottom of the phone is hot.

badgeronimous

May 30, 2014
I think that normal battery stat if you always connect 3g internet. Try to use 2g when screen off using tasker profile, monitor wake lock then disable it, disable location service and enable power saving mode. It should reduce power consumption.

Well I had an S3 before I got a Note 3. I've set his phone up exactly as I have both of these set up. I could go a day or 2 on the S3 without needing a charge, if I wasn't using it.

Even on the note, I'm always in a 4G signal, and always have apps running in the background, and diddle on my phone for a fair bit during the day.... I still easily have over 50% battery come home time.

His S3, even left with data network deactivated, and not using the phone at all, will be flat within 6hrs.

iamezio

Jan 7, 2011
Time for a new battery , if thats won't help . paint it blue and throw it to deep waters . Good Luck .

Eleve11

Oct 1, 2011
Stockholm
Some users, including myself struggle with a massive battery drain after the latest Google Play Services update. It might be that perhaps?

AssassinGEO

Sep 12, 2013
Tbilisi
Some users, including myself struggle with a massive battery drain after the latest Google Play Services update. It might be that perhaps?

Not sure if it is that,but with stock ROMs I feel kind of a battery drain,while with aosp it's amazing. Google services updated right when I went back to stock,though. So,not sure.

ConquerorX

Feb 22, 2012
Waterloo, CA
Check this..

1. Use LTE Only When Needed
Never use LTE if you're not using it at all and select 3G instead. 4G/LTE features high-speed mobile data connection but eats a lot on the battery more than you think than 3G.

2. Selective Features
Features are amazing and may actually help you every day but not all of them are good for the battery. Keep those features you use at all times and turn off others which are not needed on every day activities.

3. Wireless Connectivity
Aside from mobile data, watch out for other wireless radios such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC which consumes power and you must turn them off whenever not in use.

4. Preferred Internet Connection
Whenever there is an available and decent Internet connection via Wi-Fi, use it instead of mobile data to preserve power on your phone.

5. Display Screen
Around 50 per cent of power consumption is allocated on the screen which means you need to manually set the brightness level comfortable to you, minimise screen timeout and use static yet dark wallpapers to save energy on the display.

6. Location Services
GPS can kill your battery life and set only certain apps allowed to use location services - those which requires it.

7. Apps and Widgets
Widgets are good display designs on the home screen but only a few helps your battery. Remove widgets you're not using anymore and uninstall the app altogether. In addition, be careful with certain apps which are poorly written that may eat away battery faster or damage system files on the worst part.

8. Don't Forget This!
Samsung installed a non-removable Power Saver on your Galaxy S3 and you should use it as much as needed. Whenever you are not using any Internet connection or high tasking services, activate the Power Saver from the notifications shade to manage battery life better.

9. Colour Profile
Galaxy S3 features screen mode and you should use customise the profile to help save power consumption on the Super AMOLED display screen.

10. Refresh Regularly
It is recommended to restart your phone once a day to refresh the entire system after an entire day of full work just like a computer. It will also help the memory to perform better after a reboot.

11. Factory Reset
In worst case scenario of apps damaging the system, you'll need to reset the smartphone. It will restore the default apps and remove all other culprits which may have caused the battery last shorter and poor performance on the phone.

12. Drain the Battery
Certain times require battery drain similar with laptops and notebooks to enabling healthy charging cycle. Usually, battery draining a device once a month then getting a full charge for about four hours keep cycles healthy than those units without recharging cycle.

13. Avoid High Temperature
Avoid leaving the phone inside your car or putting it on a surface with direct sunlight to prevent damaging its battery. High temperature will damage the battery pack leading to poor performance. However, extreme cold can also affect the device leading to moisture damage.

14. Root Access
Rooting will void the warranty but if it's already gone, why not do it anyway. Root access will enable you to control various aspect on the battery and processor to improve power management.

15. Custom ROMs

Samsung Galaxy S apps and TouchWiz UI consume high amount of battery which makes other Galaxy S3 users to resort on custom ROMs. Custom ROMs always feature better power management, CPU tweaking and larger memory compared to stock ROM and if you want longer battery life, get a custom ROM.

Reactions: Pra1575

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check this..

1. Use LTE Only When Needed
    Never use LTE if you're not using it at all and select 3G instead. 4G/LTE features high-speed mobile data connection but eats a lot on the battery more than you think than 3G.

2. Selective Features
    Features are amazing and may actually help you every day but not all of them are good for the battery. Keep those features you use at all times and turn off others which are not needed on every day activities.

3. Wireless Connectivity
    Aside from mobile data, watch out for other wireless radios such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC which consumes power and you must turn them off whenever not in use.

4. Preferred Internet Connection
    Whenever there is an available and decent Internet connection via Wi-Fi, use it instead of mobile data to preserve power on your phone.

5. Display Screen
    Around 50 per cent of power consumption is allocated on the screen which means you need to manually set the brightness level comfortable to you, minimise screen timeout and use static yet dark wallpapers to save energy on the display.

6. Location Services
    GPS can kill your battery life and set only certain apps allowed to use location services - those which requires it.

7. Apps and Widgets
    Widgets are good display designs on the home screen but only a few helps your battery. Remove widgets you're not using anymore and uninstall the app altogether. In addition, be careful with certain apps which are poorly written that may eat away battery faster or damage system files on the worst part.

8. Don't Forget This!
    Samsung installed a non-removable Power Saver on your Galaxy S3 and you should use it as much as needed. Whenever you are not using any Internet connection or high tasking services, activate the Power Saver from the notifications shade to manage battery life better.

9. Colour Profile
    Galaxy S3 features screen mode and you should use customise the profile to help save power consumption on the Super AMOLED display screen.

10. Refresh Regularly
    It is recommended to restart your phone once a day to refresh the entire system after an entire day of full work just like a computer. It will also help the memory to perform better after a reboot.

11. Factory Reset
    In worst case scenario of apps damaging the system, you'll need to reset the smartphone. It will restore the default apps and remove all other culprits which may have caused the battery last shorter and poor performance on the phone.

12. Drain the Battery
    Certain times require battery drain similar with laptops and notebooks to enabling healthy charging cycle. Usually, battery draining a device once a month then getting a full charge for about four hours keep cycles healthy than those units without recharging cycle.

13. Avoid High Temperature
    Avoid leaving the phone inside your car or putting it on a surface with direct sunlight to prevent damaging its battery. High temperature will damage the battery pack leading to poor performance. However, extreme cold can also affect the device leading to moisture damage.

14. Root Access
    Rooting will void the warranty but if it's already gone, why not do it anyway. Root access will enable you to control various aspect on the battery and processor to improve power management.

15. Custom ROMs

Samsung Galaxy S apps and TouchWiz UI consume high amount of battery which makes other Galaxy S3 users to resort on custom ROMs. Custom ROMs always feature better power management, CPU tweaking and larger memory compared to stock ROM and if you want longer battery life, get a custom ROM.