Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 continually reducing storage issue?

Tip us?
 
tjmarx
Old
#1  
tjmarx's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brisbane
Unhappy Galaxy S3 continually reducing storage issue?

I'm having storage trouble with my Galaxy S3, and I'd like to sort it so I can keep using the phone until the S5 is released later this year. This issue only started occurring around September 2013

Essentially, without ME installing anything new, or doing anything except use it as a phone and use google hangouts and facebook, the storage will continue to shrink over a period of 2-3 weeks. Over this same period my battery life from a full charge will shrink from almost a day to just over an hour. This continues until it gets so low on storage space that the phone is not usable.and I factory reset it.

Things I've already tried:

* Cleared app Cache and Data for all apps
* Cleared System log
* Cleared System Cache
* Uninstalled all downloaded apps, one at a time to see if they effected anything
* Disabled all bloatware apps, including google apps
* Factory reset (I'm up to 6 times now)

Important information:

* Android version 4.1.2
* Model GT-I9300
* All photos, music and other media stored on ext SD card [sandisk ultra 32gb]
* Unrooted phone
* Stock ROM
* When I click on settings->storage the phone sits calculating where data is but never resolves. I've left it for an hour and it just never finishes calculating. Sometimes when I click on settings->storage it will refuse to display anything about internal storage as if it doesn't exist.
* The cache for google+ is HUGE. Over a gig at times, and I don't use the app. I've never even signed in with the app.

Downloaded apps;

Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Wordpress
MyBMI
Google Hangouts
Camera FV-5
ES File Explorer
DoggCatcher
Dropbox
Omegle Plus
Pebble

I'm concerned that this is perhaps the result of a push service, perhaps from samsung or google, which is updating or changing something without asking, and it causes this problem. My secondary concern is that my internal flash mem is faulty. Your assistance is appreciated.
 
Jumaqidi
Old
#2  
Jumaqidi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 185
Posts: 1,054
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmarx View Post
I'm having storage trouble with my Galaxy S3, and I'd like to sort it so I can keep using the phone until the S5 is released later this year. This issue only started occurring around September 2013

Essentially, without ME installing anything new, or doing anything except use it as a phone and use google hangouts and facebook, the storage will continue to shrink over a period of 2-3 weeks. Over this same period my battery life from a full charge will shrink from almost a day to just over an hour. This continues until it gets so low on storage space that the phone is not usable.and I factory reset it.

Things I've already tried:

* Cleared app Cache and Data for all apps
* Cleared System log
* Cleared System Cache
* Uninstalled all downloaded apps, one at a time to see if they effected anything
* Disabled all bloatware apps, including google apps
* Factory reset (I'm up to 6 times now)

Important information:

* Android version 4.1.2
* Model GT-I9300
* All photos, music and other media stored on ext SD card [sandisk ultra 32gb]
* Unrooted phone
* Stock ROM
* When I click on settings->storage the phone sits calculating where data is but never resolves. I've left it for an hour and it just never finishes calculating. Sometimes when I click on settings->storage it will refuse to display anything about internal storage as if it doesn't exist.
* The cache for google+ is HUGE. Over a gig at times, and I don't use the app. I've never even signed in with the app.

Downloaded apps;

Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Wordpress
MyBMI
Google Hangouts
Camera FV-5
ES File Explorer
DoggCatcher
Dropbox
Omegle Plus
Pebble

I'm concerned that this is perhaps the result of a push service, perhaps from samsung or google, which is updating or changing something without asking, and it causes this problem. My secondary concern is that my internal flash mem is faulty. Your assistance is appreciated.
Try disabling google plus.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
 
tjmarx
Old
#3  
tjmarx's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brisbane
Default alfred tromiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Try disabling google plus.
Thanks for replying so quickly. I've already tried disabling G+. It didn't help
 
Jumaqidi
Old
#4  
Jumaqidi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 185
Posts: 1,054
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmarx View Post
Thanks for replying so quickly. I've already tried disabling G+. It didn't help
Tried calibrating battery? Download battery calibration from play store. I use the one developed by NeMa.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumaqidi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tjmarx
Old
#5  
tjmarx's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brisbane
I'll give it a go, at best that'll fix the battery issue though right? Not the storage issue. I'm pretty sure the storage and battery issues are related, and have something to do with something hogging resources, as battery length goes back to almost a full day after a factory reset and the whole 2-3 week process starts over again.
 
JJEgan
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4416
Posts: 23,036
Join Date: Oct 2010
Battery calibration apps wipe the battery stats only .
Battery stats play no part in battery calibration or battery life >>> see faqs and guides they do not calibrate the battery in any shape or form .
 
Jumaqidi
Old
#7  
Jumaqidi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 185
Posts: 1,054
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmarx View Post
I'll give it a go, at best that'll fix the battery issue though right? Not the storage issue. I'm pretty sure the storage and battery issues are related, and have something to do with something hogging resources, as battery length goes back to almost a full day after a factory reset and the whole 2-3 week process starts over again.
Then dun restore all ur apps first when u factory reset. Slowly install an app by a time. Like a few days one app. Then u can pinpoint the app.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
 
tjmarx
Old
#8  
tjmarx's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Then dun restore all ur apps first when u factory reset. Slowly install an app by a time. Like a few days one app. Then u can pinpoint the app.
Thanks for your attempt at helping me out JellyYogurt, I appreciate it, but you aren't helping. As I mentioned in the original post I've already done this. It isn't any of the downloaded apps. If it's an app problem it's something to do with the underlying samsung auto update or the underlying google system update. Alternatively it's a bad data sector. I'm looking for someone who has experienced the problem I am experiencing and has managed to fix it. Again, I appreciate your attempts to help.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

But First, Let Me Take a #Selfie

“Today while browsing XDA,I’m going tocheck to seeif my favorite ROM has been updated–but … more

Easily Combine Text and Manage Your Android Clipboard with StuffMerge

Android clipboard management has always been impractical without the … more

Pale Moon Browser Ported to Android

Having a wide choice of third party applications is one of the most beautiful things that Android has to … more