Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,116 Members 46,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 - the sd card destroyer

Tip us?

Smartie36
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Re: Galaxy S3 - the sd card destroyer

Been using the same sd card on my s3 since I brought the phone last year, no problems at all, it's a samsung 32gb card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

KruseLudsMobile
Old
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME

I have been using a SanDisk 64GB MicroSDXC card and it has never had a problem. I only have about 5,000 files on the card taking up about 9GB.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III (SCH-1535) using XDA Premium
- R. Kruse Ludington

Current: Galaxy Note III Black; Previously: Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X, HTC HD2, HTC Touch Pro 2, HTC Tilt, HTC 8525, O2 XDA II, O2 XDA

Bizill
Old
Thanks Meter 0
2 Dead cards today. My son's and his mom's S3's. One white, one blue. Both cards Sandisk Ultra red/grey 32gb cards. Mom's was salvageable. My son's won't even register on my computer. Both died within the past 3 days. The only thing they say they did was an update on that game "4 pics 1 word".

Today, the game doesn't even show up on the android market....

kuntu
Old
(Last edited by kuntu; 13th February 2013 at 11:53 AM.) Reason: update
Thanks Meter 1
I was using a Transcend 32GB Class 4 sd card Since Sept 2012 and
from a week or two had been getting the "sd card removed unexpectedly" error,

I suspected it to be a Rom issue, but today the phone froze and after a reset its not detecting the card, neither is it being detected by the PC.
Its within warranty so will try to claim it. All the data is lost and didnt take a backup

But still dont believe S3 directly has something to do with it, probably with my usage or something else.

I used to do a lot of gaming and mobile used to get real hot (50-55C),
and the sd card socket on S3 is placed right where it gets hot, can be reason, altho just a guess.

EDIT:
I did a chkdsk after reading this , in cmd and it gave an error at the beginning but somehow the card was detected by PC altho was blank/formatted. Maybe this may help some1 else too. Now im trying to recover data.

jimbo77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2141

DONATE TO ME
Well my i9300 has been giving me the very same symptoms, since last monday it started to give the "sd card removed unexpectedly" error and then out of nowhere it stopped working and the card wasn't recognized anymore.

I put the card into a NOKIA Phone and I was able to rescue it, no data loss or nothing. However when I put the card back on my GS3 the same issue all over again, every time the phone went to deep sleep the card was bad unmounted.

I tested the card on my Wife's Sony Live with Walkman (wt19) and my Brothers Xperia Arc (LT15) and the card worked flawlessly, no issues no data loss and no sudden disconnections. Lucky for me my brother has a Sandisk 32GB card, same as mine, so he agreed to swap cards since his cards works with no issues on my phone.

I don't have a single clue what triggered the issue and why the card works great on other phones, it is like my phone has left a mark or something in the card and it will no longer work right with it.
If want to support my work just click HERE

Current Model: LG Optimus G - [ROM] PAC - 4.4.2 [KERNEL] Matrix Linaro Kernel!

Creator of:
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goodthaimer
Old
Thanks Meter 4

Anyone has a "broken" 32gb or higher micro SD card they are getting rid of.??.

I would like to have it to do some experimenting with..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

allotrios
Old
Thanks Meter 24

I got reply from the recovery company that I sent my card today and unfortunately they say they cannot recover the data. I am a bit discounted as I was told that they could take the card apart but apparently they cannot do that because the card parts are embedded? Not sure I am making sense of that.

Does anyone know if the data can be recovered from a micro sd that is not responding (phone pc etc)?

rambo21es
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The same problem with the last stock firmware
I have a 32GB Class 10 Sansidk card.

Someone have the problem with a Samsung SD card?

regards!

rambo21es
Old
(Last edited by rambo21es; 15th February 2013 at 01:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I have fixed the problem with Rescan Media (available in Play Store) with the option 'disable media scanner'.
At least it doesn't appear the 'unmounted sd card' message.

Regards

buck32
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Phone Sandisk 32gb class 4 mounting/unmounting error

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan14 View Post
Since yesterday

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

The weird thing is I hadn't been getting any unmount errors up until about 5 or 6 days ago. I initially started getting them about 2 months after I bought my San disk uhs that then it stopped again. But yeah its back with a vengeance now.

I too had this especially more through the night when my phone was in sleepmode! If you have a custom rom like I do (Omega 42) I decided to start experimenting in flashing different kernels including stock original and the one I came across was Perseus alpha 32, I flashed that and now have no more mounting/ unmounting errors showing up on SD card monitor app as well as on my phone. It sounds like a mixture between Sandisk cards and the kernel to me.

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to buck32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]