5,604,122 Members 48,544 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 - the sd card destroyer

Tip us?

allotrios
Old
(Last edited by allotrios; 20th February 2013 at 02:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
Default Re: Galaxy S3 - the sd card destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpmjmpm View Post
With respect, where is the proof of this? How do you know that these people can be certain their card is genuine? Just because it says Sandisk on the card doesn't mean it is genuinely Sandisk. For what I know everyone here has a genuine card and the s3 is killing them, that's fine. Equally everyone may have fake cards and can't tell the difference, that's fine too. Maybe someone can explain exactly what damage is being done to the cards on a technical level but I bet no one can.
Perhaps people are using a hack to swap the internal memory and extsd around, or stupidly creating swap areas on their write cycle limited cards? How many completely stock never rooted s3's have this issue?

I will stick with my opinion until my s3 kills my GENUINE 64 gig Sandisk card (which will never happen)

Sent from my ARHD S3
You have the right to ignore evidence, make incorrect assumptions about things you have no personal experience with and ultimately remain ignorant. I prefer to go with ocam's razor. If my device was genuine (it was) and I wasn't doing anything fancy with it (I wasn't) and it broke (it did break), there is nothing there pointing to fake cards with dodgy things running on them. But as I said, you have every right to be wrong.

On the technical note, my card has been sent to the recovery company suggested by SanDisk. They said the controller chip is completely unresponsive and cannot recover it. The card is absolutely 100% genuine as it has been authorised by SanDisk for rma and if you paid attention at all, many people have gone through the rma route here, something that would be impossible with a fake card.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allotrios For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BrotherDave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have a stock never rooted S3 and have had this problem. Transcend 32GB card bought from ebuyer and have just yesterday fell out with it again. The phone started to display the little memory card symbol in the notification area suggesting a format, took the card out of the phone inserted into a card reader and into my pc and shows blank/empty/corrupt whatever but nothing on it and asking to be formatted. This is the THIRD time this has happened now since buying the card back in August so that's it getting ditched now, don't know whether it's the card or the phone but will carefully consider a replacement.

jmpmjmpm
Old
(Last edited by jmpmjmpm; 21st February 2013 at 12:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by allotrios View Post
You have the right to ignore evidence, make incorrect assumptions about things you have no personal experience with and ultimately remain ignorant. I prefer to go with ocam's razor. If my device was genuine (it was) and I wasn't doing anything fancy with it (I wasn't) and it broke (it did break), there is nothing there pointing to fake cards with dodgy things running on them. But as I said, you have every right to be wrong.

On the technical note, my card has been sent to the recovery company suggested by SanDisk. They said the controller chip is completely unresponsive and cannot recover it. The card is absolutely 100% genuine as it has been authorised by SanDisk for rma and if you paid attention at all, many people have gone through the rma route here, something that would be impossible with a fake card.

You seem to have misunderstood. If you read my posts I never said that every card that fails is fake, just that the majority probably are. I am not questioning the fact that your card is genuine and you have experienced a bonafide failure. However, your card would have failed regardless of the device it was used in. You had a defective card, not a defective device. If your s3 killed your card why would Sandisk replace it under rma? If it makes you comfortable I will concede to being "wrong".

What I am saying simply is that I do not believe nor have seen any evidence that failure rates of cards are any higher in s3 than any other device. Also as an engineer working with "critical infrastructure" of a sophisticated electronic nature I have seen many times people's capacity to be down right stupid, even dishonest when reporting faults so most certainly won't be treating a few posts with no supporting evidence on a web forum as gospel!

You are entitled to be wrong in your assumption that your s3 killed your card yet you have no evidence whatsoever of this

That is my last thought on this subject. I wish you well with your s3 and your replacement memory card

Sent from my ARHD S3
http://www.livedrive.com/?tid=JPXDJBYJ < get livedrive online backup

HTC One X>Galaxy Note>Sensation XE>iPhone 4s>Galaxy S2>iPhone 4>HTC Desire>iPhone 3GS>Nokia N97>HTC Hero>Nokia E71>Nokia N95 (approximately)

iPad3 4G 64GB>Acer Iconia A500>iPad2>iPad1

Ashley1987
Old
(Last edited by Ashley1987; 21st February 2013 at 12:52 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Ive had my32gb sandisk one for well over a year now, just over a month in the s3. I think a lot of posts in here are just coincidence that their card have died in this phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley1987 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clickityclack
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm still using the same SanDisk card I used in my Blackberry beginning at least 2 or more years ago.....
The Following User Says Thank You to clickityclack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rizzy123
Old
Thanks Meter 11

So finally which is the best card to buy if looking for a 64gb card and if possible the price too (in gbp)

Thanks

jmpmjmpm
Old
Thanks Meter 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzy123 View Post
So finally which is the best card to buy if looking for a 64gb card and if possible the price too (in gbp)

Thanks
The only advice I can give is whatever card you buy do your best to make sure it's genuine. Don't be tempted by low price fakes (like so many here are then blame their device when it fails). Once you receive it check and test it until you are satisfied it's genuine brand and capacity (there is lots of info what to look for so search Google). If you do these things it is highly unlikely you will have any problems with your card in any device during its lifetime

Sent from my ARHD S3
http://www.livedrive.com/?tid=JPXDJBYJ < get livedrive online backup

HTC One X>Galaxy Note>Sensation XE>iPhone 4s>Galaxy S2>iPhone 4>HTC Desire>iPhone 3GS>Nokia N97>HTC Hero>Nokia E71>Nokia N95 (approximately)

iPad3 4G 64GB>Acer Iconia A500>iPad2>iPad1
The Following User Says Thank You to jmpmjmpm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

allotrios
Old
Thanks Meter 24

The problem is mainly with SanDisk 32gb class 10 cards. Most people have the problem with this particular type. SanDisk acknowledged there is an issue and claim to have fixed it but there is probably still stock of dodgy cards out there.

m_adnan
Old
Thanks Meter 39
i had a the same problem with two sandisk 32gb class 10 cards, the first one get some random unmounts and mounts, and some time later it was unaccessable.. i get replace for it, but didnt have the time to wait two weeks and buy a new one, but the same card as before.. with this one, i had the same problem again, a lot of random unmounts and mounts.. if you search over google, you will find a lot of entries regarding sandisk 32gb class 10 card, it looks like the card and the device are not compatible for unknow reason.. the sandisk card work without any problems on my pc with a card reader, but in the phone sgs 3 lte, it has problems.. now, i order two days a go a transcend 32gb class 10 card and for now the problems are gone.. i really think there are some problems in combination with sgs 3 lte and the sandisk.
HTC G1 --> HTC Desire --> HTC Desire HD --> Galaxy S --> Galaxy SII --> HTC Sensation XE --> HTC XL --> Galaxy Nexus --> HTC One X --> Galaxy SIII --> RAZR HD --> ASUS Padfone 2 --> Galaxy SIII LTE

arghness
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allotrios View Post
The problem is mainly with SanDisk 32gb class 10 cards. Most people have the problem with this particular type. SanDisk acknowledged there is an issue and claim to have fixed it but there is probably still stock of dodgy cards out there.

Do you have a link to where they acknowledge the issue and claim to have fixed it, please?