Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,164 Members 49,821 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S3 Stock/CM10 drain?

Tip us?

Gino.meee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Galaxy S3 Stock/CM10 drain?

I think we've ALL been here. Is there any uniform answer to this?
Let's be honest, I'm one of the not so frequent xda user, I always read several articles but have been, so far clueless.

I have the international model running on CM10 and constantly switch between ROMs of stock and CM, I've always liked AOSP ROMs, love the simple and uncluttered interface as opposed to the ever so bloated touchwiz. What else can I say? It has 32GB SD card and 16GB onboard storage, and it has a little trouble with 3rd party chargers (lose connection / disconnects every so often ) Its an old phone in technology time, but its still great.

So, I've tested wirh CM, stock and 2 other kernels which still make me feel like the phone is gobbling up a power plant everyday. One main culprit is Cell Standby which is very odd since it's usually just in my room (I use an other phone otg) and has a pretty decent signal (3-4bars)

On the most recent checks:
Cell Standby - 25%
Android OS- 18%
Screen - 15%
Google Services - 10%
Phone idle - 10%
Android System - 6%
And the rest are some of my apps..

I just recently started using Deep Sleep Battery Saver and wakelock detector. I'll send the info when the results are in for a day.

I'm not that fond of using 3G since data rates in my country are time-based and the KB-based pricing is off the charts. So I only use my phone for call and text and the occasional casual gaming and browsing (usually the cnet app)

I can only say that, if we could help on this either way, there are a ton of xda threads related to fast battery drain with varying issues because of Androids openness, I can only think if there would be some sort of centralized thread for this, or if you guys could help. That would be pretty awesome.

Ask any question or request anything so I could get this phone going. Thanks

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Cell standby will be highest because you don't use your phone.
It's not a culprit,it is normal that it is up on the chart
But if you are experiencing any battery drain of more than 1-1.5% on standby then you have to look for an app or similar service running in background otherwise there is no problem

Press thanx if i helped you in anyway...

Gino.meee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I don't think so. I left my phone's battery last night at 29% and after waking up 6-7 hours later, I got 16% left.
So that's around 13% consumed in one night without using it, or 2-3% drain per hour.

I already greenified Facebook and Lookout which were the biggest wakelocks, deep sleep gave me no noticeable difference even on Slumberer mode. I'm suspecting this is due to cell standby. the location which my phone was in had 3/4 bars of signal, wifi and location services are also turned off.

What's the big problem here really? I suspected it may be due to facebook but nothing has changed so far

Gino.meee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Update: Signal strength is 73-80+ dBm, When I got home today the phone was dead from 16% this morning. The highest consumer is Cell Standby at 26%, Facebook is already turned off and everything, Still no perf difference.

So I also have a friend on and he's got a GS4, battery life was terrible for him since the kitkat update.

Anyone??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app