Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

Galaxy S3 Stuck on Boot Screen after Flashing a ROM

OP Zernell

27th June 2013, 12:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
Hi, I'm new to these forums and need some help!

I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 yesterday using the Odin ver 1.85 tool and it was working perfectly all day. I was doing a little research as to how you can use custom ROMs and so I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded the ROM Manager application and flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery that comes with it before attempting to flash a ROM. I then proceeded to download the CyogenMod ver. 9.1.0 that comes with ROM Manager as well. I made sure to make a backup of my current ROM on both my internal and external SD cards and then went ahead and flashed the Cyogen ROM using the application. I also chose to wipe the data/factory reset before confirming.

After the process was done, the phone rebooted with the Cyogen logo and it was all working fine for the first 2 minutes. Then all of a sudden while going through the new ROM's screens, my phone rebooted showing the "Samsung GALAXY S III GT-I9300" message and with a little red "!" mark on the top left. It stays like that all the time. I tried turning the power off and taking out the battery but it always goes back to that screen immediately after.

I'm able to go into the ClockworkMod recovery by holding the volume up+power+home buttons but I see the following lines below:

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.3.2
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I've tried wiping the cache, wipe data/factory reset, and wiping the dalvik cache options but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried flashing the ROM again from the SD card, but when I try to do it, it says "E: Can't mount /sdcard/". Same thing with my external SD card.

When I plug the phone to my computer, it doesn't seem to detect my device either. Is my phone bricked and will I have to get a new one if this is the case?

I tried to do some searching and this thread seems to be similar to what I'm facing but not quite as the methods suggested by the users are unknown to me: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500947

I appreciate any help I can get!
27th June 2013, 06:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zernell

Hi, I'm new to these forums and need some help!

I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 yesterday using the Odin ver 1.85 tool and it was working perfectly all day. I was doing a little research as to how you can use custom ROMs and so I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded the ROM Manager application and flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery that comes with it before attempting to flash a ROM. I then proceeded to download the CyogenMod ver. 9.1.0 that comes with ROM Manager as well. I made sure to make a backup of my current ROM on both my internal and external SD cards and then went ahead and flashed the Cyogen ROM using the application. I also chose to wipe the data/factory reset before confirming.

After the process was done, the phone rebooted with the Cyogen logo and it was all working fine for the first 2 minutes. Then all of a sudden while going through the new ROM's screens, my phone rebooted showing the "Samsung GALAXY S III GT-I9300" message and with a little red "!" mark on the top left. It stays like that all the time. I tried turning the power off and taking out the battery but it always goes back to that screen immediately after.

I'm able to go into the ClockworkMod recovery by holding the volume up+power+home buttons but I see the following lines below:

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.3.2
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I've tried wiping the cache, wipe data/factory reset, and wiping the dalvik cache options but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried flashing the ROM again from the SD card, but when I try to do it, it says "E: Can't mount /sdcard/". Same thing with my external SD card.

When I plug the phone to my computer, it doesn't seem to detect my device either. Is my phone bricked and will I have to get a new one if this is the case?

I tried to do some searching and this thread seems to be similar to what I'm facing but not quite as the methods suggested by the users are unknown to me: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500947

I appreciate any help I can get!

put your phone to download mode and flash rom with odin.

That should fix it.
27th June 2013, 07:44 AM   |  #3  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 12,155

23,149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by austibor

put your phone to download mode and flash rom with odin.

That should fix it.

How can he do that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
27th June 2013, 08:00 AM   |  #4  

23 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

How can he do that?

power off the phone than hold power + menu + down key till you get to download mode.

than connect USB to pc run odin and flash a rom of your choice.
27th June 2013, 01:56 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4,421

23,043 posts
Quote:

power off the phone than hold power + menu + down key till you get to download mode.

than connect USB to pc run odin and flash a rom of your choice.

Thanks this post should be a sticky .

jje
28th June 2013, 04:44 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
More
Thanks for the responses!

I tried to flash the i9300 firmware using Odin as suggested but it failed during the process (attached screen shot). I tried doing this 2 or 3 times but I always got the FAIL message. Is there anything else I can try doing before giving up on my phone? Maybe I flashed the wrong file?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odin.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	2075074  
28th June 2013, 07:29 AM   |  #7  

23 posts
Quote:

I tried to flash the i9300 firmware using Odin as suggested but it failed during the process (attached screen shot). I tried doing this 2 or 3 times but I always got the FAIL message. Is there anything else I can try doing before giving up on my phone? Maybe I flashed the wrong file?

Hmm not an expert here but can you try to check the "Re-Partition" checkbox

take your sdcard out, it should not matter but just in case
28th June 2013, 07:45 AM   |  #8  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 12,155

23,149 posts
More
Quote:

Hmm not an expert here but can you try to check the "Re-Partition" checkbox

take your sdcard out, it should not matter but just in case

If you're not an expert, please don't make suggestions.

Re-partition bricks the s3. I understand its semi bricked now but there is no return from re-partition.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote:

You're system partition looks broken. What info does it say on the screen in download mode

28th June 2013, 12:48 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

You're system partition looks broken. What info does it say on the screen in download mode

When I enter download mode on the top left it says:

Odin Mode
Product Name: GT-I9300
Custom Binary Download: Yes (1 counts)
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
28th June 2013, 01:24 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4,421

23,043 posts
Quote: