Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 44,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S3 Stuck on Boot Screen after Flashing a ROM

Tip us?
 
Zernell
Old
#1  
Zernell's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Galaxy S3 Stuck on Boot Screen after Flashing a ROM

Hi, I'm new to these forums and need some help!

I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 yesterday using the Odin ver 1.85 tool and it was working perfectly all day. I was doing a little research as to how you can use custom ROMs and so I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded the ROM Manager application and flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery that comes with it before attempting to flash a ROM. I then proceeded to download the CyogenMod ver. 9.1.0 that comes with ROM Manager as well. I made sure to make a backup of my current ROM on both my internal and external SD cards and then went ahead and flashed the Cyogen ROM using the application. I also chose to wipe the data/factory reset before confirming.

After the process was done, the phone rebooted with the Cyogen logo and it was all working fine for the first 2 minutes. Then all of a sudden while going through the new ROM's screens, my phone rebooted showing the "Samsung GALAXY S III GT-I9300" message and with a little red "!" mark on the top left. It stays like that all the time. I tried turning the power off and taking out the battery but it always goes back to that screen immediately after.

I'm able to go into the ClockworkMod recovery by holding the volume up+power+home buttons but I see the following lines below:

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.3.2
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I've tried wiping the cache, wipe data/factory reset, and wiping the dalvik cache options but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried flashing the ROM again from the SD card, but when I try to do it, it says "E: Can't mount /sdcard/". Same thing with my external SD card.

When I plug the phone to my computer, it doesn't seem to detect my device either. Is my phone bricked and will I have to get a new one if this is the case?

I tried to do some searching and this thread seems to be similar to what I'm facing but not quite as the methods suggested by the users are unknown to me: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500947

I appreciate any help I can get!
 
austibor
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zernell View Post
Hi, I'm new to these forums and need some help!

I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 yesterday using the Odin ver 1.85 tool and it was working perfectly all day. I was doing a little research as to how you can use custom ROMs and so I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded the ROM Manager application and flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery that comes with it before attempting to flash a ROM. I then proceeded to download the CyogenMod ver. 9.1.0 that comes with ROM Manager as well. I made sure to make a backup of my current ROM on both my internal and external SD cards and then went ahead and flashed the Cyogen ROM using the application. I also chose to wipe the data/factory reset before confirming.

After the process was done, the phone rebooted with the Cyogen logo and it was all working fine for the first 2 minutes. Then all of a sudden while going through the new ROM's screens, my phone rebooted showing the "Samsung GALAXY S III GT-I9300" message and with a little red "!" mark on the top left. It stays like that all the time. I tried turning the power off and taking out the battery but it always goes back to that screen immediately after.

I'm able to go into the ClockworkMod recovery by holding the volume up+power+home buttons but I see the following lines below:

ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.3.2
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I've tried wiping the cache, wipe data/factory reset, and wiping the dalvik cache options but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried flashing the ROM again from the SD card, but when I try to do it, it says "E: Can't mount /sdcard/". Same thing with my external SD card.

When I plug the phone to my computer, it doesn't seem to detect my device either. Is my phone bricked and will I have to get a new one if this is the case?

I tried to do some searching and this thread seems to be similar to what I'm facing but not quite as the methods suggested by the users are unknown to me: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1500947

I appreciate any help I can get!
put your phone to download mode and flash rom with odin.

That should fix it.
 
rootSU
Old
#3  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9767
Posts: 20,928
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by austibor View Post
put your phone to download mode and flash rom with odin.

That should fix it.
How can he do that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
austibor
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
How can he do that?
power off the phone than hold power + menu + down key till you get to download mode.

than connect USB to pc run odin and flash a rom of your choice.
 
JJEgan
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4416
Posts: 23,036
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by austibor View Post
power off the phone than hold power + menu + down key till you get to download mode.

than connect USB to pc run odin and flash a rom of your choice.

Thanks this post should be a sticky .

jje
 
Zernell
Old
#6  
Zernell's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Thanks for the responses!

I tried to flash the i9300 firmware using Odin as suggested but it failed during the process (attached screen shot). I tried doing this 2 or 3 times but I always got the FAIL message. Is there anything else I can try doing before giving up on my phone? Maybe I flashed the wrong file?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odin.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	2075074  
 
austibor
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 23
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zernell View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I tried to flash the i9300 firmware using Odin as suggested but it failed during the process (attached screen shot). I tried doing this 2 or 3 times but I always got the FAIL message. Is there anything else I can try doing before giving up on my phone? Maybe I flashed the wrong file?
Hmm not an expert here but can you try to check the "Re-Partition" checkbox

take your sdcard out, it should not matter but just in case
 
rootSU
Old
#8  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9767
Posts: 20,928
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by austibor View Post
Hmm not an expert here but can you try to check the "Re-Partition" checkbox

take your sdcard out, it should not matter but just in case
If you're not an expert, please don't make suggestions.

Re-partition bricks the s3. I understand its semi bricked now but there is no return from re-partition.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zernell View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I tried to flash the i9300 firmware using Odin as suggested but it failed during the process (attached screen shot). I tried doing this 2 or 3 times but I always got the FAIL message. Is there anything else I can try doing before giving up on my phone? Maybe I flashed the wrong file?
You're system partition looks broken. What info does it say on the screen in download mode

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
 
Zernell
Old
#9  
Zernell's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post

You're system partition looks broken. What info does it say on the screen in download mode

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
When I enter download mode on the top left it says:

Odin Mode
Product Name: GT-I9300
Custom Binary Download: Yes (1 counts)
Current Binary: Custom
System Status: Custom
 
JJEgan
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4416
Posts: 23,036
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by austibor View Post
Hmm not an expert here but can you try to check the "Re-Partition" checkbox

take your sdcard out, it should not matter but just in case

Expert sir you are a positive danger .

jje

The Following User Says Thank You to JJEgan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes