Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,872 Members 53,269 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Gallery won't work, need stock apk

Tip us?

goldug
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Gallery won't work, need stock apk

Well, my girlfriend updated her Galaxy S3 a couple of days ago, and suddenly the gallery wouldn't work. It just showed up as com.sec.android.gallery3d in the app drawer. I've done everything in my power, even rooted the damn thing, but nothing seems to work.

Amidst my ferocious attack on the problem I seem to have gotten rid of the "faulty" gallery apk and can't find a good one via google that works.

Odd thing is that at first the com.sec.android.gallery3d app was missing from /system/app. When I did a search for "gallery" I found SecGallery2013.apk that was called "com.sec.android.gallery3d" in it's properties. Kind of like a symlink I think.

That original SecGallery2013.apk is now gone with the wind for some reason (my ADHD took over a while). I actually found a com.google.android.gallery3d that works (but not original) and com.sec.android.gallery3d-2be92cef98aab5194d4ae68382324577.apk (took away the number at the end of course) that seems to be the original, but crashes constantly.

I'm at a loss, hence why I did the topic name "need stock apk", as that might fix things.
Though somewhere on the filesystem (I'm still somewhat of a noob as to how android is built) there were once a folder called com.sec.android.gallery3d which is not there anymore. Any attempts at installing the apk has, obviously, also failed.

I've read almost every other possible solution, but all of them seem to be under the impression that I would have the sense to backup every single thing...

Help!

dxppxd
Old
Thanks Meter 183
What android, firnware are you running right now?

You can get the gallery app from any STOCK BASED flashable zip (many lite version roms available in this forum). Just open the zip, look under system/app or something similar, take the apk file, put it in system/app of your own phone with rw-r-r permissions, then reboot.

Stock system apps can't be just installed, they must be manually placed in system/app directory.
The Following User Says Thank You to dxppxd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gino.meee
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Try to flash Google Apps from CWM or TWRP (I assume you already flashed CWM or TWRP with Odin)

A brief explanation of Google Apps:
  • Apps like Play Store, Gallery, Camera, etc... Or the stock proprietary software made by Google are all in this one zip file called GApps, All you need to know is how to flash ZIPs (easy as 1,2,3) and the GApps for your android version.

Other options:
  • Find another 3rd party Gallery alternative from Google Play (EASIEST)
  • Flash CyanogenMod or an alternate ROM (Too risky just for getting gallery back)
  • Just get the images from the device to your computer

Well that's all I got, PM me if you need anything, hit "Thanks" if I helped you
The Following User Says Thank You to Gino.meee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
camera galaxy s3 system app