Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,894 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My GS3 is soft bricked and I can't do anything

Tip us?

jem.graham
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default My GS3 is soft bricked and I can't do anything

Hey XDA
This all started when I didn't put my phone on charge one night, and the morning after I got a text then I went to read it, my screen flickered and my phone crashed, this was usual when my phone dies.
However this time, when I put my phone on charge, it wouldn't boot up, it would stay at the boot animation screen.
I was running AOKP 4.2.2.
I then thought it was just a corrupt ROM so I went to re-install the ROM.
First, when I went to wipe the dalvik cache it said it had failed, this immediately showed warning signs, then when I went to install the ROM from my SD card it said that had failed also.
This left me only 1 option, to restore back to the stock ROM through Odin.
This seemed to go fine until I got to the end went instead of booting into an "android is updating" type thing, it was stuck on a boot loop.
This now leaves me stumped for ideas, so I turn to you, how do I fix my phone?
I hope I can fix this phone as it is my only phone.
Thanks, Jem

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem.graham View Post
Hey XDA
This all started when I didn't put my phone on charge one night, and the morning after I got a text then I went to read it, my screen flickered and my phone crashed, this was usual when my phone dies.
However this time, when I put my phone on charge, it wouldn't boot up, it would stay at the boot animation screen.
I was running AOKP 4.2.2.
I then thought it was just a corrupt ROM so I went to re-install the ROM.
First, when I went to wipe the dalvik cache it said it had failed, this immediately showed warning signs, then when I went to install the ROM from my SD card it said that had failed also.
This left me only 1 option, to restore back to the stock ROM through Odin.
This seemed to go fine until I got to the end went instead of booting into an "android is updating" type thing, it was stuck on a boot loop.
This now leaves me stumped for ideas, so I turn to you, how do I fix my phone?
I hope I can fix this phone as it is my only phone.
Thanks, Jem
after you install the stock rom via Odin boot into the stock recovery and do a factory reset and wipe the cache. should boot up after that.

one thing i notice after installing 5 different OTA though odin last night they dont wipe user data you have to do it your self. so i would give that i try im sure that should fix your problem
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jem.graham
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr View Post
after you install the stock rom via Odin boot into the stock recovery and do a factory reset and wipe the cache. should boot up after that.

one thing i notice after installing 5 different OTA though odin last night they dont wipe user data you have to do it your self. so i would give that i try im sure that should fix your problem
Thank you very very much, I didnt see the factory reset option in the stock recovery.
You're a true life saver, thanks

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem.graham View Post
Thank you very very much, I didnt see the factory reset option in the stock recovery.
You're a true life saver, thanks
no problem at all now if i can just figure out my clients gt-i9300 issue my life would be great hahaha
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]