Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,752 Members 39,449 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GT-I9300 Incorrect IMEI, No EFS Backup.

Tip us?
 
D4 BCK
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Aug 2014
Exclamation GT-I9300 Incorrect IMEI, No EFS Backup.

Right I'm really sorry to have to burden all you lovely helpful people with this, as I know there's dozens of threads, of which I have sifted and sifted through for the past 2 days. Most of them have been helpful and I am now 95% fixed, but here is the down low:

Mid-last week, I finally decided to stick a custom rom on my old, laggy Galaxy S3. Up until this point I had been running on stock 4.1.2 Firmware, rooted, with things like Bloatfree cleaning the device up a bit.
I did some research and landed on the latest Paranoid Android build, based on 4.4.4. All was rosey for a little under a week with no problems whatsoever until this Monday afternoon. I was doing nothing other than opening Snapchat when my S3 turned itself off, only to get stuck on the bootscreen.
It took me all day yesterday just to get the thing to boot again, I must of tried 4 different stock roms, searching for ages to find CWM that would flash via Odin and any fix just to get it past boot. After finally getting it into Recovery it kindly let me know that "E:Failed to Mount /EFS".
Since that happened I have managed to get the phone booted up into a stock 4.3 rom, exited factory mode and got it rooted with busy box and terminal. It has become a WiFi-only Tablet, essentially.

I am at the last hurdle, where I have no network connectivity and my IMEI is wrong. I of course have my correct IMEI on the back of the phone which I wish to reintroduce to the phone. I do not have an EFS backup.

TL;DR
  • Phone on Stock 4.3 ROM SGS3INT-XXUGMK6-BTU-20131216, rooted with busy box, root explorer and terminal. Always had stock kernel.
  • IMEI incorrect, with no backup of EFS.

I have tried:
  • EFS Professional - EFS Format errors on mount read/write
  • NVitems_reader_writer, though I can not get my device to stay in RMNET + DM + MODEM mode to be able to connect via COM port as a serial device.
  • A few of the other simpler methods from the forums

Any help is much appreciated, and while I have read that modifying the IMEI number is frowned upon and illegal practice, I am simply trying to restore it to it's original state, no tom foolery here.

Regards

Dan
 
boomboomer
Old
#2  
boomboomer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 691
Posts: 3,099
Join Date: Jun 2010
Take it to a repair centre, they can recode it for a small charge. Make sure it works on 4.3 before you pay them.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

 
D4 BCK
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
Take it to a repair centre, they can recode it for a small charge. Make sure it works on 4.3 before you pay them.
Unfortunately I have tried that with every local shop, and they don't seem to think they can do anything about it, and there is no other official Samsung repair centres nearby! Seems like a problem that independents don't come across too often.
 
Saad_
Old
#4  
Saad_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 106
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kirkuk
On the methods you've tried you've stated this "A few of the other simpler methods from the forums",
Does this mean you tried flashing the latest modem.bin for your device through Odin or through the recovery?
 
D4 BCK
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad_ View Post
On the methods you've tried you've stated this "A few of the other simpler methods from the forums",
Does this mean you tried flashing the latest modem.bin for your device through Odin or through the recovery?
I have tried flashing an XXEMG4 modem onto it and unfortunately hasn't made any difference. My IMEI is currently posted as one of the generic 0049 numbers when *#06# is dialed.

As far as I can tell, my best bet would be finding a way to get the serial port working through NVitem_reader_writer, as I have generated my correct IMEI file to add to the phone, but it won't successfully switch to RMNET + DM + MODEM to be able to connect to my computer in that way!

Dan
 
D4 BCK
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4 BCK View Post
I have tried flashing an XXEMG4 modem onto it and unfortunately hasn't made any difference. My IMEI is currently posted as one of the generic 0049 numbers when *#06# is dialed.

As far as I can tell, my best bet would be finding a way to get the serial port working through NVitem_reader_writer, as I have generated my correct IMEI file to add to the phone, but it won't successfully switch to RMNET + DM + MODEM to be able to connect to my computer in that way!

Dan
Is there a driver I could be missing for it to connect as a USB modem instead of a serial port when trying this?

Dan
 
zlocko
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Aug 2014
I have a similar problem, efs restored, imei is showing right but cant get any signal, saying emergency calls only. After flashing stock.
 
D4 BCK
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Aug 2014
Well, after 3 different phone shops and 2 gruelling weeks, the phone is back in action.

I gave very detailed notes on everything I did to the 3rd guy and he eventually managed to get it working again for a nice 15.

I'm unsure if he did anything else, but for anyone who ends up with this problem in the future, rolling the latest stock ROM will not always work. My phone was successfully recovered by rolling back all the way to 4.0.4. I'm sorry I can't give more information as I've already rooted and stuck SlimROM on it to get it back to how I like it, though this time I have been clever enough to actually create a proper full nandroid backup. I had done a backup before, but in my relative noobness years ago it was not a full backup.
 
Darke5tShad0w
Old
(Last edited by Darke5tShad0w; 23rd August 2014 at 04:37 AM.)
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 304
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4 BCK View Post
Well, after 3 different phone shops and 2 gruelling weeks, the phone is back in action.

I gave very detailed notes on everything I did to the 3rd guy and he eventually managed to get it working again for a nice 15.

I'm unsure if he did anything else, but for anyone who ends up with this problem in the future, rolling the latest stock ROM will not always work. My phone was successfully recovered by rolling back all the way to 4.0.4. I'm sorry I can't give more information as I've already rooted and stuck SlimROM on it to get it back to how I like it, though this time I have been clever enough to actually create a proper full nandroid backup. I had done a backup before, but in my relative noobness years ago it was not a full backup.
A nandroid does not back up the efs unless you are using philz or twrp and you specifically tell it to. There is no way in CWM.
Not sure if you new that or not since you said a full backup but just thought I would pipe in just incase so you don't have troubles next time.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more

MediaTek Continues Steps Towards Being Developer-Friendly

Not too long ago MediaTek was very closed off towards the mobile developer … more