Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,124 Members 42,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help: EFS folder borked, any way to restore it without backup?

Tip us?

Darkwing108
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Help: EFS folder borked, any way to restore it without backup?

I tried searching for a solution to this in the forum to no avail.

I do however have an EFS backup of my previously stolen phone (Also an S3)
and a thought popped in my head: Can i use that backup and fiddle with some files to show my current IMEI and SN (which are written under my battery)
to turn that old EFS backup to a valid one?

I would appreciate any help and/or kind words to hold my spirits up until tomorrow, when i'll be able to go fix it at the service station...

Thanks

boomboomer
Old
(Last edited by boomboomer; 17th May 2014 at 02:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 672
No, you can't do that -even if you could it would be a criminal offense to use the identity of another phone.

There is no solution to a corrupt efs, hence why every guide says to back it up first.

When you get your repair make sure it comes back with 4.3 and OTA works. Useless repairs will downgrade to 4.1 and use software patches.

Also, questions go in the q&a forum, report your own post and ask a moderator to move it for you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Darkwing108
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Yeah I figured as much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
No, you can't do that -even if you could it would be a criminal offense to use the identity of another phone.

There is no solution to a corrupt efs, hence why every guide says to back it up first.

When you get your repair make sure it comes back with 4.3 and OTA works. Useless repairs will downgrade to 4.1 and use software patches.

Also, questions go in the q&a forum, report your own post and ask a moderator to move it for you.

I did backup my EFS but after the phone got stolen i forgot to do the same for the new one :/
Oh well no worries, thanks for the answer. I'll just have to go to the service station tomorrow and have them fix it.

babisgr
Old
Thanks Meter 9
i personaly dont see a reason why you cant restore your old efs since you said you owned the phone and its stollen now...you paid it..the imei is yours...why the hell not?

Darkwing108
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by babisgr View Post
i personaly dont see a reason why you cant restore your old efs since you said you owned the phone and its stollen now...you paid it..the imei is yours...why the hell not?
I would, but since it was stolen i had the phone disabled through my provider
and to my understanding they do it by disabling the IMEI. So my old one is dead.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by babisgr View Post
Bad advise, in the uk this carries a 5 year prison sentence.

Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Darkwing108
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
Bad advise, in the uk this carries a 5 year prison sentence.

Perhaps, but what i asked was if i could take the old EFS folder and tweak the files so that it would contain my CURRENT IMEI and SN
thus i wouldn't be cloning any device, merely recreating my own original EFS folder(From my second non stolen phone).
but alas this is not possible.