Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 45,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help, soft-bricked

Tip us?

zhinkk
Old
(Last edited by zhinkk; 15th February 2014 at 06:27 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy [Q] Help, soft-bricked

I have the i9300 but when I boot up into download mode it says PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999 (not my model, though). I think this is because I accidently installed the SGH-T999 version of cyangomenod.

So to try to fix it, I used odin 3.07 and the
"I9300ZSEMC1"
stock rom file to try to put it back onto stock. Odin "stopped working" and crashed and I soft-bricked my phone (Firmware upgrade encountered an issue message at boot).

I tried again using I9300XXEMC3 stock rom, but odin 3.04 says

Quote:
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> tz.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
And fails. My phone says "unsupported dev_type" in red.

Can I please get some guidance? I don't know what I did wrong. What rom should I flash with odin? Should I try to flash the SGH-T999 stock rom with odin?

TheoDores
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhinkk View Post
I have the i9300 but when I boot up into download mode it says PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999 (not my model, though). I think this is because I accidently installed the SGH-T999 version of cyangomenod.

So to try to fix it, I used odin 3.07 and the
"I9300ZSEMC1"
stock rom file to try to put it back onto stock. Odin "stopped working" and crashed and I soft-bricked my phone (Firmware upgrade encountered an issue message at boot).

Can I please get some guidance? I don't know what I did wrong. What rom should I flash with odin? Should I try to flash the SGH-T999 stock rom with odin?
Try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2535367
Hope it help.

zhinkk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoDores View Post
I tried following those instructions. I managed to flash the .PIT file. Now I don't see the error message at boot, my screen is just black. BUT I can "sorta" boot into recovery mode (starting recovery message shows for one second, then black screen again). So I'm still stuck.

I can STILL boot into download mode though. And if I try to use CF-Root Odin fails again (same error) and my phone says "unsupported_devtype".

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4,420
Flash stock rom via Odin .
But flashing a wrong firmware for a different phone may well be a lot more than a soft brick
Did you also flash wrong recovery ???

zhinkk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan View Post
Flash stock rom via Odin .
But flashing a wrong firmware for a different phone may well be a lot more than a soft brick
Did you also flash wrong recovery ???
Everytime I flash the stock rom odin fails and phone says "unsupported dev_type". In Download mode it says my phone model is T999, but it's actual GT-I9300.

And I don't think I did. I think I had clockwork mod recovery, I'm not too sure though.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 690
You have flashed at least the T999 bootloader, which is why it says that in download mode. If flashing a full i9300 stock rom doesn't help then you'll need a new motherboard.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

zhinkk
Old
(Last edited by zhinkk; 15th February 2014 at 07:12 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
You have flashed at least the T999 bootloader, which is why it says that in download mode. If flashing a full i9300 stock rom doesn't help then you'll need a new motherboard.
That really depresses me. Are you sure this is the only solution? Because I remember when my phone WAS working I booted into download mode once and it said the same "T999 Model" and I could still use it. This only happened after I tried flashing the stock i9300 stock rom.

I think it's the cyanogenmod installer that flashed this T999 bootloader for me. When I used the cyanogenmod installer it detected my phone as a AT&T phone and I was dumb enough to click "install" thinking it would work for all galaxy S3's.

zhinkk
Old
(Last edited by zhinkk; 15th February 2014 at 07:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I think this guide is exactly what I need (since it restores bootloader), but I can't seem to complete all the steps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2535367

I get to #5 but once I try to install CF-ROOT through odin it says the same unsupported dev type error on my phone.

This is the error I get when trying to use CF-ROOT through Odin3 v1.85:

Quote:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> cache.img
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
(along with the red "Unsupported dev_type" on my phone in download mode).

I think it was already rooted though, maybe someone could help me reinstall the recovery (cwm) so I can install the bootloader from that guide I just linked?

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 690
Best option is to try a rescue firmware, which might help:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...15224728919566

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

zhinkk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
Best option is to try a rescue firmware, which might help:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...15224728919566

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Will this delete my EFS? I remember I backed up efs with this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1852255

I did: "adb reboot nvbackup"

By restoring to "complete" factory settings, won't this efs be deleted? Can I still backup my efs in my 'soft brick' mode I'm in?