Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,594 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HELP to back old IMEI

Tip us?

isisnx
Old
(Last edited by isisnx; 1st July 2014 at 03:24 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb [Q] HELP to back old IMEI

Please, I need help, my motherboard burned and bought a new one with no IMEI, after the technician installed the motherboard, it got generic IMEI "0049 ..." Before the burn motherboard, I had made a backup of the ROM "4.0.4" using CWM, and made a copy of the folder EFS "efs.img/efs.tar.gz" using KTOOL, not sure about KTOOL because was this in 2012^^, but I've tried everything I know, I have tried to restore using the KTOOL, already restored the backup using CWM, already flash ROM "4.1.2/4.3" via ODIN, I have done several reported here in some posts related about IMEI but it still fails, hope some enlightened can help me :/ sorry for my bad english

Model: GT-I9300
Actual ROM: 4.0.4

opssemnik
Old
Thanks Meter 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisnx View Post
Please, I need help, my motherboard burned and bought a new one with no IMEI, after the technician installed the motherboard, it got generic IMEI "0049 ..." Before the burn motherboard, I had made a backup of the ROM "4.0.4" using CWM, and made a copy of the folder EFS "efs.img/efs.tar.gz" using KTOOL, not sure about KTOOL because was this in 2012^^, but I've tried everything I know, I have tried to restore using the KTOOL, already restored the backup using CWM, already flash ROM "4.1.2/4.3" via ODIN, I have done several reported here in some posts related about IMEI but it still fails, hope some enlightened can help me :/ sorry for my bad english

Model: GT-I9300
Actual ROM: 4.0.4
error of the technician, the imei is stored in the nand chip(comes with the mobo)and he should had flashed correctly it for you
now since you made a ktool backup(dont know what it is, but looks like a imei backup) and if this ktool is designed for the s3(so it backups all efs partitions, if i remember there are 3, can be wrong tho) you*should* could restore.
but there is a problem,if ktool is correct but its from 2012 that means it did a backup of the old style efs partiton (efsv1) witch dosent work anymore since Samsung upgraded it to efsv2 and downgrading will not help
what you should do is get a s3 with 4.1.2 or earlier and restore your efs to that, upgrade it to 4.3, and get a new efs backup
i could be wrong tho
Edit: i remember a thread about a guy fixing the imei issue without a backup, and i remember Reading a part where he formats the efs partition, so that should help, see if you can find it(i canīt look now). it was in the s3 forums
Nexus 4 / black / 16gb (R.I.P.)
Nexus 5 / Red / 16gb (D821)
New Nexus 7 wifi / Black / 32gb - Android 4.4.4 stock
Galaxy S3 Intl(I9300) / purple / 16gb - blekola lite 6.1

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 683
You cannot restore an efs backup to another handset or motherboard, it's also illegal to change the imei and discussion of this is banned on xda.

Your new motherboard is faulty, return it to the technician.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

isisnx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
You cannot restore an efs backup to another handset or motherboard, it's also illegal to change the imei and discussion of this is banned on xda.

Your new motherboard is faulty, return it to the technician.
really? excuse me is that I see many people talking about it here and have never seen any warning from the moderators, I thought it was legal because everyone says that the IMEI does not change, even changing the motherboard. And I have the invoice from the phone, just did not want to take the support of samsung because they charge too much.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 683
Backing up and restoring efs to same motherboard/handset is legal, trying to move the imei from your old motherboard to new is illegal for you to do.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Tags
backup, imei, restore