Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] How to disable Tethering on a S3

OP Blaauwberg

26th May 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Hi
Please can anyone help me to DISABLE tethering on the S3. I want all types: USB, WiFi hotspot and Bluetooth Tethering disabled but for the mobile still to be able to use data for other apps like WhatsApp etc. Its to disable access to the internet for a minor (I have removed the browser applications already but there are computers in the house that can be connected via these other routes and the kids these days are sharp ).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
26th May 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Coventry
Thanks Meter: 5
 
43 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Just go to the notification panel and disable them from there i know this is not that helpful but i tried to be

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th May 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 185
 
561 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
With a rooted phone, you would have to decompile system/settings.apk using apktool or similar (in a pc with the android sdk installed).

Edit its xml to remove, just delete, the thetering and portable hotspot menu, and then put the modified settings.apk back into the phone.

That would make it so they cannot activate it via the settings menu, but the phone would still be able to by using 3rd party apps.

Look into decompiling and compiling system apps with framework and apktool. Its a lot to put in the post, but there are great tutorials in the xda community. It's time consuming, but once you get the hang of it, really easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to dxppxd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Re. How to disable tethering
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxppxd

With a rooted phone, you would have to decompile system/settings.apk using apktool or similar (in a pc with the android sdk installed).

Edit its xml to remove, just delete, the thetering and portable hotspot menu, and then put the modified settings.apk back into the phone.

That would make it so they cannot activate it via the settings menu, but the phone would still be able to by using 3rd party apps.

Look into decompiling and compiling system apps with framework and apktool. Its a lot to put in the post, but there are great tutorials in the xda community. It's time consuming, but once you get the hang of it, really easy.

Thank you dxppxd, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I am familiar with the apktools method of modifying apk files and my phone is rooted.
Any other suggestions are welcome too.
27th May 2014, 02:57 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaauwberg

Thank you dxppxd, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I am familiar with the apktools method of modifying apk files and my phone is rooted.
Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Hi dxppxd, there is no Settings.apk under /system. Any idea where else it could be. Also, is the xml file in the res directory and is it also called settings.xml?

The version of android is 4.1.2 and is stock.
Your help is appreciated.
R
Mark
27th May 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 185
 
561 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaauwberg

Hi dxppxd, there is no Settings.apk under /system. Any idea where else it could be. Also, is the xml file in the res directory and is it also called settings.xml?

The version of android is 4.1.2 and is stock.
Your help is appreciated.
R
Mark

Edit: Ooops! It's system/app/settings.apk my bad!

Also, you probably have an odexed rom. I suggest installing a stock deodexed rom so you can decompile settings.apk

You can get one in the roms section, I remember 4.1.2 stock deodexed versions of wanamlite or archidroid roms.

I'll look into which xml to edit, don't really remember. It's usually one called layout or res_layout or something like that.

There was a tut for modding the settings layout, ill look for it when I get home and post the link, was very helpful a long time ago.

Edit2: this is the tutorial. It was made for moding android 2.3.6 settings. But a lot of things still apply. It gives a very good idea on what each section does, and how the layout is made and you're only removing stuff, not adding titles or sections:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=24317850

Good luck.
Last edited by dxppxd; 27th May 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes