Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,845 Members 50,542 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[A] How to identify a fake Samsung battery

Tip us?

Guru1000
Old
(Last edited by Guru1000; 10th January 2013 at 05:52 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [A] How to identify a fake Samsung battery

As a lot of people I don't want to run out of juice and ordered a couple of "Genuine Samsung" batteries on ebay (one for myself and one for a friend). Paid 6.50 pounds each that is approximately 10 dollar. I received the items accordingly and unpacked them. As a technician I checked them intensively on al sides also in comparison with my original battery. Off course, I knew this sounded to good to be true, but the sellers feedback was good and no feedback reported fake goods.

First thing I noticed was that the serial number on both batteries was the same, this can never be the case with a serial number
Second thing is that the contact are lying deeper in the battery housing than the original one
Third thing is a small placard next to the contact points to cover two small holes of the assembly.

Than I started searching on the internet and found the following text which I qoute:

[/qoute]
We particularly focus on the Battery to discuss, because it is difficult to identify real and fake battery. looking from the appearance of many fake Samsung batteries, it almost can not distinguish the fake from the real, however , the fake will not become the real, teach you a few methods of identification, real and fake battery will be crystal-clear to present in your eyes .
Method 1: Check the new battery whether there is a film on the back
when you buy assembled battery, there is a normal film affixed to the back, however the original battery did not have. it is the easiest way of identification.
Method 2: Check the battery positive labels work
the label of the original battery is pasted precisely and its size matches with the size of the grooves, there is no obvious gap; the work of the assembled battery(Cell phone accessories wholesale) is usually less stringent , the size of the label is inconsistent with the battery grooves, giving the impression that the label is not affixed rightly.
Method 3: Check the litter bin symbol on the label
there is a small dot in the circle of right corner of the original battery‘s litter bin, but if you observe carefully, you can pick it out; there is a solid round dot in the bottom of right corner of the assembled battery’s litter bin, it is said that a small number of positive labels of assembled battery also have a small dot , but you'll also find that the patterns of assembled battery’s litter bin slightly larger than the original battery. This point may require you to spend more time on observation, if you do not have experience, you can pretend to select several types of Samsung cell phones, then take the opportunity to make a comparison between them, you can see which one is real and which one is fake.
Method 4: Check print quality of the letter under the bar code on the label
printing font of the original battery is rather special, scan lines are constituted by the dot, they are clear and grainy, the "/" between “S “and “N “slash is very obvious and serrated (sorry picture is not clear); Print quality of the assembled battery is obviously much more rough.
Method 5: Check the battery's internal parameters
Enter your cell phones "* # 0228 #", the original battery generally can display manufacturer, capacity, voltage, temperature and other information. Press the "^" button on the navigation keyboard to page up, the percentage displaying in the bottom of the page is the remaining capacity. The assembled battery does not display electric battery manufacturer, capacity.
Method 6: Check the battery contacts
Samsung original battery(Cell phones wholesale) metal contacts are bright and neat; assembled battery contacts are jet-black and the arrangement is irregular. If you observe closely you may find the differences between their contacts, but it is difficult to make a judgement if there is no comparison. it seems that it is really a bit difficult.
Usually one original battery will take you more than 100 yuan, while assembled battery can be purchased for about ten yuan, a huge difference may let many people fond of bargain, when you purchase cell phones, you can use the aforementioned ways to distinguish carefully,let the thing be worthy of the money.
[/unqoute]

I hope it is clear for everybody. Cheers .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guru1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

render35
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru1000 View Post
As a lot of people I don't want to run out of juice and ordered a couple of "Genuine Samsung" batteries on ebay (one for myself and one for a friend). Paid 6.50 pounds each that is approximately 10 dollar. I received the items accordingly and unpacked them. As a technician I checked them intensively on al sides also in comparison with my original battery. Off course, I knew this sounded to good to be true, but the sellers feedback was good and no feedback reported fake goods.

First thing I noticed was that the serial number on both batteries was the same, this can never be the case with a serial number
Second thing is that the contact are lying deeper in the battery housing than the original one
Third thing is a small placard next to the contact points to cover two small holes of the assembly.

Than I started searching on the internet and found the following text which I qoute:

[/qoute]
We particularly focus on the Battery to discuss, because it is difficult to identify real and fake battery. looking from the appearance of many fake Samsung batteries, it almost can not distinguish the fake from the real, however , the fake will not become the real, teach you a few methods of identification, real and fake battery will be crystal-clear to present in your eyes .
Method 1: Check the new battery whether there is a film on the back
when you buy assembled battery, there is a normal film affixed to the back, however the original battery did not have. it is the easiest way of identification.
Method 2: Check the battery positive labels work
the label of the original battery is pasted precisely and its size matches with the size of the grooves, there is no obvious gap; the work of the assembled battery(Cell phone accessories wholesale) is usually less stringent , the size of the label is inconsistent with the battery grooves, giving the impression that the label is not affixed rightly.
Method 3: Check the litter bin symbol on the label
there is a small dot in the circle of right corner of the original battery‘s litter bin, but if you observe carefully, you can pick it out; there is a solid round dot in the bottom of right corner of the assembled battery’s litter bin, it is said that a small number of positive labels of assembled battery also have a small dot , but you'll also find that the patterns of assembled battery’s litter bin slightly larger than the original battery. This point may require you to spend more time on observation, if you do not have experience, you can pretend to select several types of Samsung cell phones, then take the opportunity to make a comparison between them, you can see which one is real and which one is fake.
Method 4: Check print quality of the letter under the bar code on the label
printing font of the original battery is rather special, scan lines are constituted by the dot, they are clear and grainy, the "/" between “S “and “N “slash is very obvious and serrated (sorry picture is not clear); Print quality of the assembled battery is obviously much more rough.
Method 5: Check the battery's internal parameters
Enter your cell phones "* # 0228 #", the original battery generally can display manufacturer, capacity, voltage, temperature and other information. Press the "^" button on the navigation keyboard to page up, the percentage displaying in the bottom of the page is the remaining capacity. The assembled battery does not display electric battery manufacturer, capacity.
Method 6: Check the battery contacts
Samsung original battery(Cell phones wholesale) metal contacts are bright and neat; assembled battery contacts are jet-black and the arrangement is irregular. If you observe closely you may find the differences between their contacts, but it is difficult to make a judgement if there is no comparison. it seems that it is really a bit difficult.
Usually one original battery will take you more than 100 yuan, while assembled battery can be purchased for about ten yuan, a huge difference may let many people fond of bargain, when you purchase cell phones, you can use the aforementioned ways to distinguish carefully,let the thing be worthy of the money.
[/unqoute]

I hope it is clear for everybody. Cheers .

All very interesting but sadly complete rubbish. First of all the serial numbers are in fact batch numbers, so if you buy two batteries from the same batch they will have the same number.

Without picking up on every single point individually the differences in labels and casings on genuine original batteries are simply because they are made in different factories around the world and as with any factory they have different equipment. In fact the labels are almost certainly produced by label printing factories and the batteries are, in many cases, manufactured for Samsung by battery makers rather than by Samsung themselves. Think about it - there are literally hundreds of millions of mobile phones sold around the world every single year which means hundreds of millions of batteries - do you honestly believe that every single label and battery are going to be identical?

I have sold thousands of Samsung mobiles over the years and have seen many original batteries (as supplied with the phone) where the labels look completely different. I have purchased batteries directly from Samsung with no small dots on circle on the waste bin. I could go on, but sorry, the above post is simply an opinion and nothing more with no foundation whatsoever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to render35 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Etirel
Old
(Last edited by Etirel; 15th May 2013 at 05:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
When you buy "genuine" batteries for 10 dollars, you should realise that you're not probably gonna get real goods. "Genuine" batteries go for atleast 20 dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Etirel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

b-eock
Old
Thanks Meter 1417

DONATE TO ME
Why do people insist on quoting the OP???

If you don't read the forum, why should the forum read you?

PHONE: Samsung GT-I9300 and Samsung Captivate Build #1012

MobileTechVideos USB Port repair!
Adam Outler for UB Mod
Conexxion2005(Josh) from MTV

lingowistico
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etirel View Post
When you buy "genuine" batteries for 10 dollars, you should realise that you're not probably gonna get real goods. "Genuine" batteries go for atleast 20 dollars.
Generally yes, but there's nothing stopping the china factory from doing a little business on the side by selling the batteries online directly to the end users.

Samsung Galaxy S 5 SM-G900F
Rom - Stock
Recovery - TWRP

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10641
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingowistico View Post
there's nothing stopping
Except laws and contractual agreements. Anything they do "on the side" is illegal so its the Black market. Its best to assume if its too good to be true - it isn't true, even if sometimes those products are genuine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

lingowistico
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Except laws and contractual agreements. Anything they do "on the side" is illegal so its the Black market. Its best to assume if its too good to be true - it isn't true, even if sometimes those products are genuine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
On one hand you're right on the other hand I'm right lol.
I know for a fact that some official Universal Music/Studios factories (that press discs) also press pirate discs by night (when the factory is supposed to be closed). So you know, you never know
Specially when it comes to places like China, where western thinking and logic doesn't mean antything.

Samsung Galaxy S 5 SM-G900F
Rom - Stock
Recovery - TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to lingowistico For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10641
I never said you were wrong. A genuine product leaked on the black market though, is not really genuine, even if by manufacture, it is genuine. When it leaks to the black market, all integrity is gone. Half of what makes a genuine product genuine, is warranty.

But if someone says, a genuine battery is $20, anything that is $10 is fake, they're not correct. Sometimes a genuine product on the black market can be $10, however, chances are that $10 battery IS fake. You cant keep buying $10 batteries hoping they will be genuine.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

teekaytk
Old
Thanks Meter 12
One of the easiest ways to identify a fake battery is to look at the weight. I bought a so called "genuine samsung battery" for my S3. When I weight it on my precision scales, the fake battery was 20 grams lighter than the original battery.

Geekboy26
Old
Thanks Meter 3
After being burnt once before after buying a cheap battery for my BB off ebay, I'd only buy batteries directly from the manufacturer, like Qcell, Zerelemon... Are you guys willing to share the names of the sites you bought the dodgy batteries from?