[Q] i9300 getting random freeze/hang up irrespective of recover/kernel/rom

Search This thread

newoverhere

Jan 13, 2014
This is my first post here so please excuse any violation of rules.

So, I was running CWM recovery + Siyah kernel + CM10.1 + Touchwiz 4.1.2 (dual boot setup) perfectly fine on my Galaxy s 3 for almost a year. But yesterday I decided to update all of those and updated to latest CWM using ROM manager, then changed the kernel to googy max2 and installed CM11. Everything worked properly except that my phone would freeze or hang up randomly at any time(whether swiping through homescreens or updating apps or even during standby). So I changed my ROM to S4 Revoution ROM (tried with both googy max2 and devil kernel). However, even this ROM gave me same hangup problems. So I moved onto TWRP recovery+ OmniRom but still encountered the same problem multiple times. After getting tired of wasting so much time, I came back to my original setup of CWM+Siyah kernel+CM10.1 thinking I wouldn't face this problem again, but to my aghast, the phone would still freeze randomly. Only a power button reboot would help. Please help, I have no idea what might be causing the problem as I have successfully tried every combination of recovery, kernel and ROM but to no avail. And no, I never manually tinkered with any CPU/GPU frequencies or voltages. Your time and help is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

PS: One more very important thing I forgot to mention, CPU-Z shows most of the time all 4 cores of the CPU stay at 1400MHz even though minimum speed is 200MHz. I have noticed this in S4 revolution ROM with googy max2 kernel and pegasusq governor(currently using this setup on my phone). Also, the "devil kernel" app on this ROM shows CPU either stays in deep sleep mode or 1300-1400MHz frequency.
Can't take screenshot for some reason in this ROM otherwise I would have uploaded those too. Thank you.

Last edited:

Hamza18

Jan 13, 2014
Dubai
www.mediaart-me.com
This is my first post here so please excuse any violation of rules.

So, I was running CWM recovery + Siyah kernel + CM10.1 + Touchwiz 4.1.2 (dual boot setup) perfectly fine on my Galaxy s 3 for almost a year. But yesterday I decided to update all of those and updated to latest CWM using ROM manager, then changed the kernel to googy max2 and installed CM11. Everything worked properly except that my phone would freeze or hang up randomly at any time(whether swiping through homescreens or updating apps or even during standby). So I changed my ROM to S4 Revoution ROM (tried with both googy max2 and devil kernel). However, even this ROM gave me same hangup problems. So I moved onto TWRP recovery+ OmniRom but still encountered the same problem multiple times. After getting tired of wasting so much time, I came back to my original setup of CWM+Siyah kernel+CM10.1 thinking I wouldn't face this problem again, but to my aghast, the phone would still freeze randomly. Only a power button reboot would help. Please help, I have no idea what might be causing the problem as I have successfully tried every combination of recovery, kernel and ROM but to no avail. And no, I never manually tinkered with any CPU/GPU frequencies or voltages. Your time and help is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Did you do a complete wipe before installing all these roms? Wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache partition. I am running WanamLite 7.3 with stock kernel and Wanam Xposed. Here is the link to the rom - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1705866

Reboot into custom recovery. Do a full wipe, even though this rom says that it is not necessary but it is always a good idea to do a full wipe before flashing. Try this out and let's try to fix your problem.

newoverhere

Jan 13, 2014
Did you do a complete wipe before installing all these roms? Wipe Dalvik Cache and Cache partition. I am running WanamLite 7.3 with stock kernel and Wanam Xposed. Here is the link to the rom - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1705866

Reboot into custom recovery. Do a full wipe, even though this rom says that it is not necessary but it is always a good idea to do a full wipe before flashing. Try this out and let's try to fix your problem.
Yes, and not just once, but every time I flashed a new ROM. I'm thinking my only option now is to unroot and go back to stock but i am unable to find my country's rom. (found one on sammobile but the download speed refuses to go beyond 2-3kbps).

newoverhere

Jan 13, 2014
One more very important thing I forgot to mention, CPU-Z shows most of the time all 4 cores of the CPU stay at 1400MHz even though minimum speed is 200MHz. I have noticed this in S4 revolution ROM with googy max2 kernel and pegasusq governor. Also, the "devil kernel" app on this ROM shows CPU either stays in deep sleep mode or 1300-1400MHz frequency.
Can't take screenshot for some reason in this ROM otherwise I would have uploaded those too. Thank you.

Hamza18

Jan 13, 2014
Dubai
www.mediaart-me.com
One more very important thing I forgot to mention, CPU-Z shows most of the time all 4 cores of the CPU stay at 1400MHz even though minimum speed is 200MHz. I have noticed this in S4 revolution ROM with googy max2 kernel and pegasusq governor. Also, the "devil kernel" app on this ROM shows CPU either stays in deep sleep mode or 1300-1400MHz frequency.

Try WanamLite 7.3. Use the link I gave. And install it after doing a complete wipe. See if that makes a difference.

newoverhere

Jan 13, 2014
Try WanamLite 7.3. Use the link I gave. And install it after doing a complete wipe. See if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the suggestion but i'm afraid that would not help as i have already tried 4 different roms, one of which i used for a year without any problem, but still facing the hangup only since yesterday. plus, I have gone through enough trouble restoring my accounts/apps/contacts and all (especially whatsapp) again and again for the whole of yesterday every time i flashed a new rom. the problem is not related to the rom. thank you, again.

Hamza18

Jan 13, 2014
Dubai
www.mediaart-me.com
pertsky makes

Thank you for the suggestion but i'm afraid that would not help as i have already tried 4 different roms, one of which i used for a year without any problem, but still facing the hangup only since yesterday. plus, I have gone through enough trouble restoring my accounts/apps/contacts and all (especially whatsapp) again and again for the whole of yesterday every time i flashed a new rom. the problem is not related to the rom. thank you, again.

See, most of the things in your phone are software related. It is very very rare that you might have damaged the hardware. I see mismanagement of the resources by the ROM or kernel in your phone. What are the steps you are doing when installing a new ROM and which custom recovery are you using?

newoverhere

Jan 13, 2014
Full wipe flash stock rom and test ,
Read the FREEZING sticky and SDS sticky .

I did a full wipe, flashed everything again, did the emmc check as well as the dummy file generator thing....the hangups have reduced to 2-3 per day from 2-3 per hour but are still there. Should I downgrade my cwm recovery?

~DemonLord~

Jan 15, 2014
If you are rooted try the COMPLETE unrooting procedure mentioned at various places by flashing the latest stock firmware available from sammobile. This is to make sure your device software is like brand new. Test it for at least a day. Do a mega wipe (erasing everything even on internal SD card) before which can fix it in some cases.
When rooting again make sure you have the most bug free version of the recovery. CWM 6.0.4.4 is known to have minor problems here and there but nothing concerning to this topic. :)

Radder124

Oct 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23
If you are rooted try the COMPLETE unrooting procedure mentioned at various places by flashing the latest stock firmware available from sammobile. This is to make sure your device software is like brand new. Test it for at least a day. Do a mega wipe (erasing everything even on internal SD card) before which can fix it in some cases.
When rooting again make sure you have the most bug free version of the recovery. CWM 6.0.4.4 is known to have minor problems here and there but nothing concerning to this topic. :)

Hi guys, I experience the same problems: I'm in any app and I press home to go back to the home menu => my phone's freezing for 5 seconds and then I see all my icons/folders/widgets slowly appearing. I would like to know how to complete format my internal SD card like you said. Thanks in advance.

~DemonLord~

Jan 15, 2014
by pressing the powerkey+homebutton+volume up for about 8-10 seconds you are taken to a recovery menu. You can choose to factory reset over there. That fixed problems in most cases. The only way to wipe the internal partition as well would be to install stock firmware which is a part of unrooting, this will erase everything and put a original rom in your phone.. You can follow the unrooting processes written in many posts in xda :)

~DemonLord~

Jan 15, 2014
Ok thanks for this quick answer ! So the only way to erase the internal SD card is the unrooting method?
As far as i know yes. Its not any trouble at all, wont take much time, except the firmware you would have to download. Its not needed in most cases. As i said before you may only need a factory reset so try that before! :) And just hit the thanks button ;)

Reactions: Radder124

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full wipe flash stock rom and test ,
    Read the FREEZING sticky and SDS sticky .
    Ok thanks for this quick answer ! So the only way to erase the internal SD card is the unrooting method?
    As far as i know yes. Its not any trouble at all, wont take much time, except the firmware you would have to download. Its not needed in most cases. As i said before you may only need a factory reset so try that before! :) And just hit the thanks button ;)