5,597,647 Members 33,815 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]I9300 network unlock on firmware version 4.3 (EFS v2)

Tip us?

h0rm1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q]I9300 network unlock on firmware version 4.3 (EFS v2)

Hello,

Is there any solution to sim unlock the galaxy s3 on android 4.3 with the changed efs partition (v2)? I read a bunch of threads and the conclusion is it can't be done.
I have a couple of questions though:

I do have V1 backups of the efs folder. Is it possible to flash an older firmware, 4.1.1 for example and then restore the old efs backup and use the galaxsim unlock solution ? if i do this and upgrade the phone to 4.3 afterwards will it still be unlocked or i`ll remain stuck with the 4.1.1 rom ?

If i keep the current 4.3 rom and just modify the efs partition with the backup i have (v1) will it work ? i read in the faq thread that the newer firmwares still read the old efs format so it should be ok right ?

Thank you,
~h0rm1~

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 556
4.3 won't work with efs v1, to my understanding. If you unlock with 4.1 then when you update to 4.3 it will lock again.

EFS v2 was invented for a reason, to stop network unlocking without a valid code.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

h0rm1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
4.3 won't work with efs v1, to my understanding. If you unlock with 4.1 then when you update to 4.3 it will lock again.

EFS v2 was invented for a reason, to stop network unlocking without a valid code.

i would like to try different combinations, as long as i have a backup of my efs folder i should be okay right ?
i wouldn't like to mess it up completely

Thanks

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4406
You need to pay .

spocky12
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 520

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rm1 View Post
Hello,

Is there any solution to sim unlock the galaxy s3 on android 4.3 with the changed efs partition (v2)? I read a bunch of threads and the conclusion is it can't be done.
I have a couple of questions though:

I do have V1 backups of the efs folder. Is it possible to flash an older firmware, 4.1.1 for example and then restore the old efs backup and use the galaxsim unlock solution ? if i do this and upgrade the phone to 4.3 afterwards will it still be unlocked or i`ll remain stuck with the 4.1.1 rom ?

If i keep the current 4.3 rom and just modify the efs partition with the backup i have (v1) will it work ? i read in the faq thread that the newer firmwares still read the old efs format so it should be ok right ?

Thank you,
~h0rm1~
As of now, there's still no possibility to directly unlock devices with efs v2. I'm still working on it.

One thing is sure though : once properly unlocked (efs v1 with 4.1 for instance), your device won't be locked again when you update to 4.3. It means that if you have efs v1 backup, you can flash an old 4.1 rom to your device, restore the backup, and then use GalaxSim Unlock. I believe all radio (even post mg4) can still read efs v1, so you shoudn't even need to flash an old rom (it's been confirmed working by a few users already).

Sim Unlock your Samsung Galaxy device (s, s2, s3, s4, note, note2, tab...) with GalaxSim Unlock
Pilot your XBMC media center (including offline mode, streaming and Chromecast support) with Yatse, the XBMC remote
Get the LG Multidevice Kitchen
Roms : KisS20.5 (ks20) & xCite3 (ct810)

h0rm1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocky12 View Post
As of now, there's still no possibility to directly unlock devices with efs v2. I'm still working on it.

One thing is sure though : once properly unlocked (efs v1 with 4.1 for instance), your device won't be locked again when you update to 4.3. It means that if you have efs v1 backup, you can flash an old 4.1 rom to your device, restore the backup, and then use GalaxSim Unlock. I believe all radio (even post mg4) can still read efs v1, so you shoudn't even need to flash an old rom (it's been confirmed working by a few users already).
Thanks for the reply, i eventually payed for the unlock code, i wasted too much time trying to make it work

guareber
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rm1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, i eventually payed for the unlock code, i wasted too much time trying to make it work
Since I'm kinda stuck in the same boat, could you PM me the exact website where you bought the code?
Let's just say there's too many and I'm a tad paranoid.

tallman43
Old
(Last edited by tallman43; 31st January 2014 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post

I'm totally confused then because when I bought my S3 it was locked to Three mobile(and yes it was definitely locked) and I used Galaxy Sim unlock to unlock it I was on 4.1. I now have the new EFS v2 and now switch between roms on a regular basis including 4.3 I also looked on Galaxy Sim unlock site on Google play and the dev say's it may not work on new updates as well

(1) First rule of flashing roms BACK UP YOU EFS!!
(2) 2nd Rule of flashing roms SEE 1ST RULE!!

Remember,,, There is No Such Thing As A Daft Question! Only A Daft Answer!
Remember...You started as a "Noob" so don't be rude!

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 556
My understanding was based on the number of people who have posted here after updating and found sim lock reinstated with no way to downgrade. It's possible their efs was already damaged and yours isn't.

Nothing seems to unlock efs 2 though, apart from a legit code, heard no success story yet.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]