Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 38,059 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ignore unstable charging current?

Tip us?

Benoob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default [Q] Ignore unstable charging current?

Like many other S3 users, I have unstable charging current due to faulty cables/chargers/phone etc. and the phone charges at less than max ability most of the time. Many custom kernels have the ability to "ignore unstable charging current". When this option is checked, the phone charges at max capacity and is great. My question is:

Is it safe to us the "Ignore unstable charging current"? Can it damage the phone itself at all? Will it damage the battery?

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benoob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ash359
Old
Thanks Meter 698
I would love to hear an answer to this as well

Sent from my Jedi MasterX Note 2

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 352
No definitely not... Sometimes done functions can be broken like tethering but AFAIK it's safe...

Sent from my GT-I9300
The Following User Says Thank You to kunal1540 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ash359
Old
Thanks Meter 698
Hmm, I unplugged my phone and it thought it was still charging, really weird, also my battery didn't last as long as I'm used to.

Sent from my Jedi MasterX Note 2

JustArchi
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 22,410

DONATE TO ME
During charging there's ongoing negotation of power between phone and the source of power. After some seconds (of being plugged in), the final power is being set after such negotations.

This is required to be sure that both devices and also the cable are able to handle voltage properly. Ignoring unstable current basicly does what is says - it turns off negotiations and uses maximum power defined in both devices and cable itself, even if it's not stable.

In worst scenario, this can lead to the damage of a device, source of power or the cable. Usually it's safe to assume that everything is able to operate on defined max power, however as you know sammy cables are "faulty", and they negotiate lower voltage for a specific reason.

In short: In most common situations it should be safe to assume that everything is able to handle defined max power, HOWEVER nobody can assure you that you won't run into problems, negotiation exists for a very good reason to don't cause damage of any device, this is something like a "barrier", which isolates unstable things from stable ones and makes sure that nobody gets hurt. Turning it off may, or may not, cause problems, depending on various scenarios.

Twitter

Galaxy S3: ArchiDroid 2.X | ArchiDroid 1.X | ArchiKernel | ArchiPort
Xperia M: ArchiDroid 2.X
Other: ArchiKitchen

Have a question? Use Q&A. My inbox is restricted to development only.
Tags
ignore unstable charging current