Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,805 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S3 Stuck at Weird Download Mode

Tip us?

RaySam
Old
(Last edited by RaySam; 22nd June 2014 at 05:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Battery Low [Q] S3 Stuck at Weird Download Mode

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if you might find this answered somewhere else. But as far as my xda and google searching skills go, I've exhausted all options.

The rooted S3 (GT-I9300 on stock 4.3 ROM) I've been using was working perfectly fine until I decided to flash touch CWM. (Note: I had already installed the app through play store or blackmart). Now my phone is stuck in a weird download mode loop. It's weird because it's not the normal download mode that comes when you press the Volume Down+Home+Power buttons. It's almost the same, except that the other details on the top-left corner are not being displayed (such as Odin Mode, product name, custom binary download, custom binary ...).

However, I can still access the normal download mode using the above key combinations, only that that phone isn't recognized in Odin. Thus, I couldn't flash the stock rom using the same. Secondly, I can also access the recovery mode, but it's not CWM; instead, it's the stock android system recovery <3e>

Now, to make things worse, all my attempts at flashing custom recovery and stock rom through ADB were in vain. Every time I tried flashing a custom rom or recovery (using adb sideload filename), the phone gave me the following message (E:signature verification failed). I understand it's the case with stock recovery, but I just can't install custom recovery. And to top it all, my attempts at installing CWM and stock rom (I9300XWUGML4_I9300DDGML4_INU.zip) using the 'apply update from external storage' option (yes, I can access my extSDcard) yield me same results (E:signature verification failed).

So there you are, I tried adb; I tried Odin; I tried applying an update through external storage; I tried removing the battering and reinserting it (after almost four hours); I even tried factory resetting the handset, yet no positive results. My phone still goes to the weird download mode when rebooted. Please help. I don't want to bother everyone with stupid questions. I'm ready to do my research and help my case, but for now I'm at a roadblock. Your help would be much appreciated.

Details:
Was running on stock 4.3; no custom ROMs were installed; it was only rooted
GT-I9300
I9300DDUGNB1
Kernel: 3.0.31-2363855
se.infra@SEP-122 #1
Fri Dec 27 20:00:26 KST 2013

Build: JSS15J.I9300XWUGML4
AP: I9300XWUGML4
CP: I9300DUGNB1
CSC: I9300DDGML4

RaySam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Battery Low Anything at all?

Guys,

Is there a way out of this? I've started the day thinking I might have missed something but still can't seem to figure it out.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 690
Try taking the battery out, while the phone is connected to the pc, in download mode.

Without connection to Odin there is little you can do, take for a repair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

RaySam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
Try taking the battery out, while the phone is connected to the pc, in download mode.

Without connection to Odin there is little you can do, take for a repair.

Tried that.. when I remove the battery, nothing changes (the screen shows the download mode) until I unplug the USB cable.

Is there anyway I can flash a ROM using adb? I tried adb sideload <filename> (stock rom downloaded from sammobile) but nothing happens. Command prompt is stuck for some time, then the phone restarts into recovery mode but not completely. It gets stuck at the animation screen, where the bot is being repaired.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 690
You would have to write each image part to the correct partition, complicated and risky.

Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RaySam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
You would have to write each image part to the correct partition, complicated and risky.

Well, took it to the service center a while back. Got it repaired. Tried to get some information from the tech guys on what is it that they did. But well, a cloak of anonymity was thrown over the process. Nevertheless, I understand why they wouldn't let me know. But glad that the phone is working. Although can't say for how long, as I'm going to root it again and install a custom ROM. Just can't keep my hands off of it.

Thanks anyway for everything. This was my first thread and I'm glad with the responses. Cheers!!!

RaySam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Stupid me! Just found out the problem. It was the USB cable. I didn't suspect it earlier as it was working fine in adb. Now after the repair when I tried installing a ROM through odin, the phone wasn't getting detected, like earlier. That's when it struck me to check the cable. I was using the original data cable that came with the phone, as it was in mint condition. I tried connecting the phone using my sister's Xperia Z's data cable. And lo and behold! Device added in Odin. Stupid me! No wonder the tech guys were a bit apprehensive in telling me what the problem.