Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] what does a kernel do?

Tip us?

prezzi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] what does a kernel do?

so i heard flashing a kernel on stock rom can increase battery life.
well my i9300 is currently running Samsung's 4.3 and i was wondering if their was a kernel i can flash over this using twrp to get better battery life, more RAM or performance. i an new here but i really want to understand.
i wud prefer if i could get more RAM as touchwiz takes up so much RAM and the 1gig i hav tends to full up quickly....

Jumaqidi
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by prezzi View Post
so i heard flashing a kernel on stock rom can increase battery life.
well my i9300 is currently running Samsung's 4.3 and i was wondering if their was a kernel i can flash over this using twrp to get better battery life, more RAM or performance. i an new here but i really want to understand.
i wud prefer if i could get more RAM as touchwiz takes up so much RAM and the 1gig i hav tends to full up quickly....
If u rly just wan speed and performance. Go for stock android. Features, go for sammy roms. For ur case, i recommend u to flash a custom rom.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

kunal1540
Old
(Last edited by kunal1540; 17th February 2014 at 07:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 347
Kernel is the powerhouse of your phone.. You cab improve speed and sound quality with battery saving..Just go to particular thread.. see that it supports your phone and android version.. Download zip for
your particular version.. Copy it to your SD card and flash through recovery that's it...

Sent from my GT-I9300

Jonny
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7826

DONATE TO ME
The below image explains in simple terms what the kernel does:

And thread closed as there is no "best" kernel, only what works best for you. What you find the best kernel might not be the best for another due to differences in how you use the device
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe