Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

kies will not update firmware on rooted phone

Tip us?

starfish_001
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
Last time, once you have root you can no longer install OTA`s, you can however upgrade witk Kies provided you have no custom kernel. You will loose root and you may loose all your settings. So it will be easier for you to download the new rom from sammobile and install it with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root and loose no settings and files.
Based on my experience you can take an update via Kies or OTA with root as long as the stock rom remains intact (no major mods). I have generally upgraded with a stock kernel. I have mostly lost root or at least had to fix permissions each time.

The settings have remained intact each time (titanium should take care of this any way)

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2807
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish_001 View Post
Based on my experience you can take an update via Kies or OTA with root as long as the stock rom remains intact (no major mods). I have generally upgraded with a stock kernel. I have mostly lost root or at least had to fix permissions each time.

The settings have remained intact each time (titanium should take care of this any way)
You can download OTA`s but you can not install it as you have a custom recovery.
You can upgrade with Kies but you`ll loose root and you have to reroot it.
If you install the updated rom with Mobile Odin Pro you`ll upgrade and keep root, that is what i`am trying to say
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

starfish_001
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Last time, once you have root you can no longer install OTA`s, you can however upgrade witk Kies provided you have no custom kernel. You will loose root and you may loose all your settings. So it will be easier for you to download the new rom from sammobile and install it with Mobile Odin Pro and keep root and loose no settings and files.
Quote:
You can download OTA`s but you can not install it as you have a custom recovery.
You can upgrade with Kies but you`ll loose root and you have to reroot it.
If you install the updated rom with Mobile Odin Pro you`ll upgrade and keep root, that is what i`am trying to say
Cool ... I should have mentioned I have always had a stock recovery if sticking with stock Rom. Because as you say the updates don't work with non stock recovery