XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] omni vs cm 11 vs slimkat

OP twinko

4th May 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

50 posts
at first: this is not a "whats the best rom" thread.

i have 2 very focused questions:
  1. What are the idle times with those different roms?
  2. Are there some Main feature differences?

Aktually im running cm11 m5 snapshot with smartassv2 Governor. its smooth but the battery life is kinda poor.
Im looking for a rom with long battery life. And i dont care about google now, talking to my phone(ok google) nor i need the special features from the standart samsung rom.

Would be realy helpfull if u can review to my questions. Greetings!
pls apologize my bad english.
Last edited by twinko; 4th May 2014 at 06:28 PM.
4th May 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag east
Thanks Meter: 3,177

5,618 posts
Donate to Me
More
1 each phone is different depending on what's installed and running.
2 read there threads or flash each ROM and find out that way. You forgot about aokp?
6th May 2014, 07:26 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwright

1 each phone is different depending on what's installed and running.
2 read there threads or flash each ROM and find out that way. You forgot about aokp?

2. thx for informing abaout aokp!
1. im asking for someone who did a test with the same phone and all roms. i dont ask for different situations, i sked fpr idle time and features!

Probably there is somebody out there who testet it and can present his results
6th May 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #4  
Flag Durban
Thanks Meter: 664

1,373 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinko

2. thx for informing abaout aokp!
1. im asking for someone who did a test with the same phone and all roms. i dont ask for different situations, i sked fpr idle time and features!

Probably there is somebody out there who testet it and can present his results

There are no definitive results, I have used both and I keep coming back to Omni due to the fact that on SlimKat music stutters like crazy when the screen is locked. Also, Omni updates are small enough to update often without having to download a complete update, to many users this a huge deal due to data limitations in certain countries. As for usage, idle time etc, like stated before, that depends entirely on what is installed on your device. Install a bunch of apps that need to constantly receive data updates and you will have battery drain and very little deep sleep. Where features are concerned, you kinda learn to live with limitations due to missing features on a specific rom. If you really want, you can most likely find an app that will bring a missing feature to a rom. I see a lot of people throwing their toys out the cot because one of the other does not have a specific feature implimented, yet the developers have done so with good reason, usually either performance or battery life.

With all said, there are many roms out there, Omni and SlimKat aren't the only players. It's difficult to compare roms nowadays because you are never quite sure if your kernel tweaking or custom kernel with it's hundreds of tweaks is the reason for a device not going into deep sleep either.

Give them all a try and decide for yourself, nandroid backups and apps like Titanium Backup makes it so easy.
6th May 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelha

There are no definitive results, I have used both and I keep coming back to Omni due to the fact that on SlimKat music stutters like crazy when the screen is locked. Also, Omni updates are small enough to update often without having to download a complete update, to many users this a huge deal due to data limitations in certain countries. As for usage, idle time etc, like stated before, that depends entirely on what is installed on your device. Install a bunch of apps that need to constantly receive data updates and you will have battery drain and very little deep sleep. Where features are concerned, you kinda learn to live with limitations due to missing features on a specific rom. If you really want, you can most likely find an app that will bring a missing feature to a rom. I see a lot of people throwing their toys out the cot because one of the other does not have a specific feature implimented, yet the developers have done so with good reason, usually either performance or battery life.

With all said, there are many roms out there, Omni and SlimKat aren't the only players. It's difficult to compare roms nowadays because you are never quite sure if your kernel tweaking or custom kernel with it's hundreds of tweaks is the reason for a device not going into deep sleep either.

Give them all a try and decide for yourself, nandroid backups and apps like Titanium Backup makes it so easy.

Thx for your long, interessting and helping text!
im missing only 1 thing. if someone flashes all roms, doesnt install any apps. Only new rom and full wipe before, restart and tracks the time the phone has battery. Dont u think this is a possibility to compare the roms battery usage? i think there is no one who does this, but i probably will try this and put down a little table here. so people like me are able to see the rom with the best battery efficiency. so if they decide this rom has not enough performance, they can switch to "battery efficiency Number 2" and so on.

greetings
6th May 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Navi Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,464

2,658 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

im missing only 1 thing. if someone flashes all roms, doesnt install any apps. Only new rom and full wipe before, restart and tracks the time the phone has battery. Dont u think this is a possibility to compare the roms battery usage? i think there is no one who does this, but i probably will try this and put down a little table here. so people like me are able to see the rom with the best battery efficiency. so if they decide this rom has not enough performance, they can switch to "battery efficiency Number 2" and so on.

greetings

Sure you can do what you stated but bear in mind how will you compare the battery life across roms..
There should be some standardized test... Like looping video playback or some other method which does not change based on you usage habits..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
6th May 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #7  
Flag east
Thanks Meter: 3,177

5,618 posts
Donate to Me
More
Pa is another you're missing from you're list of developed roms. What you could do is test video playback, calls incoming/outgoing,one game of choice "high end battery draining game" and compere them all. As for the kernel tuning.. Read about what really happens and you will fine not a lot does happen with UV/uc .
7th May 2014, 11:54 AM   |  #8  
Flag PR
Thanks Meter: 6

51 posts
More
Quote:

greetings

You can compare but you have to use that phone for more days not like just one and you have to full charge and then discharge 2 or 3 times till the phone make the correct battery stats. So i think you can test but better with daily use or get an app that drains battey faster well i think this may work

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11, cyanogenmod, omni, slimkat
Previous Thread Next Thread