Post Reply

[Q] Phone keeps rebooting, unable to enter the recovery

OP laxsrbija

23rd January 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #1  
laxsrbija's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Hello,

I've had my S3 for over a year now and it has been mostly running great. Whenever I've had issues I tried to solve them by myself, but this time I was unable to fix my phone, so I must ask for help.

Here's what happened. I left my phone on my desk today and one of my co-workers fiddled with it. He opened SuperSU and then a message popped up saying that SU binary needs to be updated. He then choose to update it via CWM. The phone then restarted and upon starting shows the startup screen then it tries to enter the recovery, but instead it just shows it for a brief moment and then it restarts again. It keeps doing that over and over again. If I remove the battery and then insert it back again, the phone will turn on by itself and continue to reboot after failing to open CWM.

I tried to enter the recovery, but had no success. The phone did enter the Download Mode though, but flasing a ROM via ODIN will remove all of the data stored on the phone and I really need it. The phone is currently running Android Revolution HD 40.

Is there a way to get my phone operational again without loosing the data stored on it?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by laxsrbija; 23rd January 2014 at 12:55 AM.
23rd January 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #2  
chrismast's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 434
 
1,913 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxsrbija

Hello,

I've had my S3 for over a year now and it has been mostly running great. Whenever I've had issues I tried to solve them by myself, but this time I was unable to fix my phone, so I must ask for help.

Here's what happened. I left my phone on my desk today and one of my co-workers fiddled with it. He opened SuperSU and then a message popped up saying that SU binary needs to be updated. He then choose to update it via CWM. The phone then restarted and upon starting shows the startup screen then it tries to enter the recovery, but instead it just shows it for a brief moment and then it restarts again. It keeps doing that over and over again. If I remove the battery and then insert it back again, the phone will turn on by itself and continue to reboot after failing to open CWM.

I tried to enter the recovery, but had no success. The phone did enter the Download Mode though, but flasing a ROM via ODIN will remove all of the data stored on the phone and I really need it. The phone is currently running Android Revolution HD 40.

Is there a way to get my phone operational again without loosing the data stored on it?

Thanks in advance.

did you try reflashing your recovery via Odin?
The Following User Says Thank You to chrismast For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 03:18 AM   |  #3  
tallman43's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Land of Android
Thanks Meter: 348
 
1,056 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
SuperSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxsrbija

Hello,

I've had my S3 for over a year now and it has been mostly running great. Whenever I've had issues I tried to solve them by myself, but this time I was unable to fix my phone, so I must ask for help.

Here's what happened. I left my phone on my desk today and one of my co-workers fiddled with it. He opened SuperSU and then a message popped up saying that SU binary needs to be updated. He then choose to update it via CWM. The phone then restarted and upon starting shows the startup screen then it tries to enter the recovery, but instead it just shows it for a brief moment and then it restarts again. It keeps doing that over and over again. If I remove the battery and then insert it back again, the phone will turn on by itself and continue to reboot after failing to open CWM.

I tried to enter the recovery, but had no success. The phone did enter the Download Mode though, but flasing a ROM via ODIN will remove all of the data stored on the phone and I really need it. The phone is currently running Android Revolution HD 40.

Is there a way to get my phone operational again without loosing the data stored on it?



Thanks in advance.

First of all what are co workers doing messing with your phone I would seriously not be happy!! screen lock comes to mind!

As the above post said flash another recovery in odin I recommend Philz recovery,backup your data in recovery then factory reset if that does not work flash another rom via recovery or return to stock with odin. You can also boot into recovery with adb but I would try above first.

Then charge your co-worker for all the time wasted trying to fix phone
The Following User Says Thank You to tallman43 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #4  
laxsrbija's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Thank you so much for the idea, I just tried this and it worked! After flashing new recovery via ODIN, I'm now able to access my phone. There was no need to flash the ROM again, as it was fine, the only problem was with the recovery.
And I still have my data!

Thank you very much again, cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43

First of all what are co workers doing messing with your phone I would seriously not be happy!! screen lock comes to mind!

He's actually a good guy and I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. He told me that he was playing a game and he tried to add more coins using GameCIH. Then the prompt to allow root access to the app came up along with a notification to update the SU binary. He said he pressed that button by mistake. I wasn't mad at the guy, I was only upset that I may lose my data.
The Following User Says Thank You to laxsrbija For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 04:36 AM   |  #5  
chrismast's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 434
 
1,913 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxsrbija

Thank you so much for the idea, I just tried this and it worked! After flashing new recovery via ODIN, I'm now able to access my phone. There was no need to flash the ROM again, as it was fine, the only problem was with the recovery.
And I still have my data!

Thank you very much again, cheers

you are welcome! glad to see that it works again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm; bootloop, start, supersu, update
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes