Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] GS3 stuck on boot, won't go into Recovery Mode

OP froodman

21st January 2013, 04:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Hello!

I'm more or less a noob regarding Android. With respect to the time of senior members, I have spent a few hours studying previous posts for a solution but have been unable to get unstuck. Therefore, this new thread.

Summary:
  1. Rooted and unlocked my new GS3 back in August 2012. No challenges with anything. OTA put me to 4.1.1.
  2. Woke up this morning to stuck boot screen.
  3. Following forum posts, I tried to flash CWM via Odin but all 6 attempts have failed. (Tried using Odin3 v3.04 and Odin3 v1.85 both. Tried using both CF-Root-SGS3-v6.0.tar and CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar.)
  4. Tried to go into Recovery Mode, but the phone is not going to recovery either. (Interestingly, I see a small red exclamation mark in the top left corner when I try to go to Recovery Mode.)
  5. Checked with Samsung support and they state that rooting voids warranty, so of course I can't take it to my operator unless I want to pay!

Can someone please help to recover the device?

Thanks!
Frood
21st January 2013, 05:02 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,428
 
23,044 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Can you access download mode .
If so flash a stock rom via Odin .

jje
21st January 2013, 05:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

Can you access download mode .
If so flash a stock rom via Odin .

jje

Yes, I can access the download mode.
I have already downloaded the latest firmware from SamMobile, but wasn't sure about flashing as Odin hadn't worked so far for me. Will do this now, as you advise. (Still unsure of which Odin version to use, though. Would that be Odin3 v1.84 or Odin3 v 3.04?)

/frood
21st January 2013, 05:49 PM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 1,094
 
5,007 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Re: [Q] GS3 stuck on boot, won't go into Recovery Mode
just use the latest one, put the file in the pda section and flash, and don't change any check boxes
21st January 2013, 06:03 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebun

just use the latest one, put the file in the pda section and flash, and don't change any check boxes

Flash failed! Was stuck at the SetupConnection step before it failed, as with all the previous Odin attempts.

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9300XXELLB_I9300OJVELL3_I9300XXELLA_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/011> Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/011> File analysis..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
21st January 2013, 06:10 PM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 1,094
 
5,007 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Re: [Q] GS3 stuck on boot, won't go into Recovery Mode
do you see a blue box in Odin in the first slot? have you installed the usb drivers? is kies running in the background?
21st January 2013, 06:11 PM   |  #7  
sam77744's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ahmedabad(GUJRAT}
Thanks Meter: 435
 
532 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by froodman

Flash failed! Was stuck at the SetupConnection step before it failed, as with all the previous Odin attempts.

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9300XXELLB_I9300OJVELL3_I9300XXELLA_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/011> Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/011> File analysis..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

ist reload usb driver. then ist flash original stock recovery, then flash new rom via pc odin, find zip stock recovery
Attached Files
File Type: tar International-GT-i9300-StockRecovery.tar - [Click for QR Code] (5.39 MB, 130 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sam77744 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2013, 06:18 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebun

do you see a blue box in Odin in the first slot? have you installed the usb drivers? is kies running in the background?

Odin's first ID:COM slot is yellow and says 0:[COM11].
I assume all required USB drivers are present since I have Kies installed, though I don't use it. (I have transferred files to the phone via USB previously, so I guess it works.. or used to)
I just killed a Kies process (KiesPDLR) and relaunched Odin, but the box is still yellow.
21st January 2013, 06:22 PM   |  #9  
sam77744's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ahmedabad(GUJRAT}
Thanks Meter: 435
 
532 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by froodman

Odin's first ID:COM slot is yellow and says 0:[COM11].
I assume all required USB drivers are present since I have Kies installed, though I don't use it. (I have transferred files to the phone via USB previously, so I guess it works.. or used to)
I just killed a Kies process (KiesPDLR) and relaunched Odin, but the box is still yellow.

u seen added com then flesh
The Following User Says Thank You to sam77744 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2013, 06:22 PM   |  #10  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kyiv
Thanks Meter: 1,094
 
5,007 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Re: [Q] GS3 stuck on boot, won't go into Recovery Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam77744

ist reload usb driver. then ist flash original stock recovery, then flash new rom via pc odin, find zip stock recovery

no need to flash that, the stock recovery is included in the ROM.


try uninstalling kies and installing just the drivers

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes