Proximity sensor not functioning during calls - Screen will go black and won't restore until the call ends and with a few power button clicks.
If you tried - Blowing at the sensor, Fixing apps, Opening the device and cleaning the sensor, Creating a bolder separation between the two receptors of the sensor, sending it for repair, Running ADB shell Auto + Manual Calibration - and it all failed, I hope the next workaround solution will help you.
Unless you have a defective hardware/software, doing a manual calibration of the proximity sensor should solve any problem with it. Follow this tutorial - How to Perform Proximity Sensor Calibration on any Samsung Phone .
For me though, it never worked.
When I did the commands:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/prox_cal cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/state
I tried so many times but always got '0'.
I saw a few comments from users on threads and tutorials who had this problem and no one seemed to have an answer.
Now, i'm not a debugger savvy but here is what I did which seem to have solved this:
- Make sure you run the ADB shell from a pc and not directly on your mobile., You'll want to use copy&paste with your mouse for this.
- Run the auto calibration first from the tutorial above.
- Now make a call on your phone - this will force the sensor to go into a live mode.
- While your phone is calling - run the manual calibration codes.
- You should now have different number/s other than 0. Write them down.
- You can hang up now
- Keep following the tutorial with the number/s you have.
I hope this helps.
I have a Galaxy S3, i9300 - CM11.