XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Lightbulb [Fixed] - Proximity Sensor Manual Calibration Outputs '0'

OP Xolusia

6th November 2014, 09:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Well, this issue bugged me for months now and it looks like there is a workaround.

Problem:
Proximity sensor not functioning during calls - Screen will go black and won't restore until the call ends and with a few power button clicks.

If you tried - Blowing at the sensor, Fixing apps, Opening the device and cleaning the sensor, Creating a bolder separation between the two receptors of the sensor, sending it for repair, Running ADB shell Auto + Manual Calibration - and it all failed, I hope the next workaround solution will help you.

Unless you have a defective hardware/software, doing a manual calibration of the proximity sensor should solve any problem with it. Follow this tutorial - How to Perform Proximity Sensor Calibration on any Samsung Phone .

For me though, it never worked.
When I did the commands:
Code:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/prox_cal
cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/state
They both returned a value of '0' (Zero). Which mean I couldn't do any calibration.
I tried so many times but always got '0'.

I saw a few comments from users on threads and tutorials who had this problem and no one seemed to have an answer.
Now, i'm not a debugger savvy but here is what I did which seem to have solved this:
  1. Make sure you run the ADB shell from a pc and not directly on your mobile., You'll want to use copy&paste with your mouse for this.
  2. Run the auto calibration first from the tutorial above.
  3. Now make a call on your phone - this will force the sensor to go into a live mode.
  4. While your phone is calling - run the manual calibration codes.
  5. You should now have different number/s other than 0. Write them down.
  6. You can hang up now
  7. Keep following the tutorial with the number/s you have.

I hope this helps.
I have a Galaxy S3, i9300 - CM11.
Last edited by Xolusia; 6th November 2014 at 09:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xolusia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread