Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,911 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Reboot loop issue around 1-minute in any mode. Is there a fix?

Tip us?

aalaap
Old
(Last edited by aalaap; 24th April 2014 at 07:30 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Plug [Q] Reboot loop issue around 1-minute in any mode. Is there a fix?

This is a year-old Galaxy S3 i9300 (Intl) which came with a stock 4.something, which I replaced after a couple of months with CM10. After that, I've tried plenty of different ROMs, but I mostly stuck with CM. There were often problems with some apps FCing and plenty of random reboots, but it was still mostly usable. Until recently, that is.

After a few more updates with the more recent CM11 builds, the phone just went into this boot loop that seems to trigger around the 1 minute mark regardless of what mode the phone is in. In most cases it's the CM11 boot animation, but even if I manage to get it into recovery or download mode, it still reboots. As a result, I'm unable to perform any repair via recovery (no fix permissions or wipe) and I can't get it to stay in download mode to send a different image.

Is this a hardware issue or something that can be fixed via software?

tallman43
Old
Thanks Meter 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
This is a year-old Galaxy S3 i9300 (Intl) which came with a stock 4.something, which I replaced after a couple of months with CM10. After that, I've tried plenty of different ROMs, but I mostly stuck with CM. There were often problems with some apps FCing and plenty of random reboots, but it was still mostly usable. Until recently, that is.

After a few more updates with the more recent CM11 builds, the phone just went into this boot loop that seems to trigger around the 1 minute mark regardless of what mode the phone is in. In most cases it's the CM11 boot animation, but even if I manage to get it into recovery or download mode, it still reboots. As a result, I'm unable to perform any repair via recovery (no fix permissions or wipe) and I can't get it to stay in download mode to send a different image.

Is this a hardware issue or something that can be fixed via software?
If it reboots in recovery and download mode then it sounds like a hardware issue to me most probably your power button is the cause.

(1) First rule of flashing roms BACK UP YOU EFS!!
(2) 2nd Rule of flashing roms SEE 1ST RULE!!

(3) EFS Issue look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...uding-t2393289
(4) Rescue Firmware look here >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...35&postcount=6

aalaap
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman43 View Post
If it reboots in recovery and download mode then it sounds like a hardware issue to me most probably your power button is the cause.
I guess :-/

I did read several other boot loop issue posts, but most of them only reboot when the OS is booting, not recovery or download. The ones that have a 'global' boot loop issue are usually much shorter (3 sec or so) and can sometimes get it to stay by removing the memory card or just keeping it off for 5-10 minutes. None of thes things worked for me.

I have three Samsung phones with hardware issues - the i9300, the i9250 and the i9020 - which I'll take to the service center now.

The Following User Says Thank You to aalaap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]