[Q] Recovery, download or hard reset without power button

Search This thread

Betatestgw

Apr 24, 2014
Good evening everyone.

Here is my story : my power button was hyper sensitive and locked/unlocked/rebooted my SGS3 by itself, sometimes even when I didn't touch it. I could not use my phone anymore, so I searched for a way to fix it, and I found out that it was a hardware problem. I carefully opened my phone and physically removed the power switch. To turn my phone on, I had to plug a charger/usb cable in, plug it out and immediately pull my battery out and in.

It worked pretty much, and I then decided to reinstall the previous version of Cyanogenmod 11 which I preferred. I don't know why but something went wrong during the installation, and now I can't go further than the unlock screen. Whenever I unlock my phone, a box saying "Launcher 3 has stopped working" shows up, and reappears right after I close it. I can't access to the homescreen, the notification bar is empty and I can't access to my phone parameters. The only thing I can do is opening my agenda or the clock app by clicking the date or the hour (only things in my status bar).
Also, my phone reboots when it connects to some wifi.

I can't hard reset my S3 because I can't access to my parameters, nor to the phone app (emergency call doesn't allow me to reset the dial way). I can't reboot in recovery or download mode because I don't have a power button anymore. ADB tools don't detect my phone (I installed the SGS3 drivers on my pc), and my computer only detects an empty phone.
The warranty is over so I can't just send it to Samsung.

Is there a way to reset my Galaxy S3 or just boot it in recovery or download mode so I can install a clean ROM via CWM or Odin ?

Thank you for your time,
Betatestgw

Betatestgw

Apr 24, 2014
A jig usb can put it into download mode directly.

Thank you for your anwser, but I found a way to fix it !

I opened the clock by long pressing the hour in my status bar. Then I long pressed my home button, so the recently opened app appeared. I long pressed the clock app in this list, then chose "informations about this application". It led me to the clock app's settings. At the top of this page I was able to press back button to see all my apps.I displayed all the processes, then closed all of them (but settings), especially Launcher 3. After that I was able to access to my home page, so I could go to my settings to hard reset my phone !
Finally, I reinstalled CM11 and now it works like a charm.

I know this is a very specific situation but I hope this little trick will one day be useful to someone.

cgamberea

Aug 6, 2010
hi

Thank you for your anwser, but I found a way to fix it !

I opened the clock by long pressing the hour in my status bar. Then I long pressed my home button, so the recently opened app appeared. I long pressed the clock app in this list, then chose "informations about this application". It led me to the clock app's settings. At the top of this page I was able to press back button to see all my apps.I displayed all the processes, then closed all of them (but settings), especially Launcher 3. After that I was able to access to my home page, so I could go to my settings to hard reset my phone !
Finally, I reinstalled CM11 and now it works like a charm.

I know this is a very specific situation but I hope this little trick will one day be useful to someone.

Or in the future you try this. With volume down and home pressed plug cable and after that the battery. For me is worked.

Top Liked Posts