[Q] Resolution in Custom Roms

8th January 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Peace be upon you all. I am new here and I hope I am posting to the correct forum. I recently installed Cyanogenmod 11 on my galaxy S3 (I am new to rooting and it was my first custom rom ). I noticed that resolution didn't seem as crisp as on the stock firmware. Later on I noticed the same thing with AOKP. I checked the resolution and it was 780X1280 with a pixel density of 320 ppi, whereas the native resolution of S3 is 720X1280 with a pixel density of 306 ppi. I tried to change pixel density using rom toolbox, but still couldn't notice any difference. Any ideas? Thank you
8th January 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 269

430 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarali_47

Peace be upon you all. I am new here and I hope I am posting to the correct forum. I recently installed Cyanogenmod 11 on my galaxy S3 (I am new to rooting and it was my first custom rom ). I noticed that resolution didn't seem as crisp as on the stock firmware. Later on I noticed the same thing with AOKP. I checked the resolution and it was 780X1280 with a pixel density of 320 ppi, whereas the native resolution of S3 is 720X1280 with a pixel density of 306 ppi. I tried to change pixel density using rom toolbox, but still couldn't notice any difference. Any ideas? Thank you

it probably didn't work. but to get sure: you have rebooted after the change? look into your build.prop (in system folder) for the value "ro.sf.lcd_density" if it is still 320. if yes then try to change it manually to the value you like. then save and close it and reopen the build.prop to look if the change sticks.
I often noticed that rom toolbox (pro) has a problem with the integrated superuser app, so that it don't get r/w permissions to system.
That is the reason why I switched to SuperSu by chainfire, with this Rom Toolbox and all other root apps never had problems
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkened_Sky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkened_Sky

it probably didn't work. but to get sure: you have rebooted after the change? look into your build.prop (in system folder) for the value "ro.sf.lcd_density" if it is still 320. if yes then try to change it manually to the value you like. then save and close it and reopen the build.prop to look if the change sticks.
I often noticed that rom toolbox (pro) has a problem with the integrated superuser app, so that it don't get r/w permissions to system.
That is the reason why I switched to SuperSu by chainfire, with this Rom Toolbox and all other root apps never had problems

Thanks for your reply friend. It probably did work, icons looked a bit small but, still the text seemed a bit blurry and wasn't as crisp as on the stock rom. I restored the backup of stock rom and checked pixel density and resolution. it showed a resolution of 720x1280 and ppi of 320. Whereas general specs of the phone say it is 306. Or I don't know that 306 is something else .... To sum it up, both the stock rom and CM show a pixel density of 320. But, stock has a resolution of 720 whereas CM had 780 pixels..... don't know what to do.
10th January 2014, 10:46 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Things are working fine on Temasek's unofficial CM 10.2 rom. Maybe it was a problem with that rom I installed
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread