Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,324 Members 42,962 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Restore to stock with Kies - flash counter question

Tip us?

ophilar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Restore to stock with Kies - flash counter question

Hi

I'm currently on CM11 (nightly and TWRP) and want to revert to stock. Kies has the "Firmware upgrade and initialization" option ..
My question is:

Is it necessary to reset the flash counter in order to use this? What will happen if I try to use it without resetting the counter?

I tried to find an answer for the last few days, but couldn't (or couldn't understand what I found).

The backstory is my serial number was reset and I can't connect to network after flashing ArchiDroid with a new modem. I afterwards flashed a different (JB) modem. I was already on Samsung stock 4.3 so I guess my efs is v2 (so no Ariza's patch..), and I have some backups of it.
I'd rather not use Odin or ADB. I figured the easiest and safest way is to reset and restore everything to stock, send to a lab if necessary, then reinstall cm11. I'm also not sure how restoring the efs works ..

I'll be very thankful for any feedback, as I've been wasting a lot of time on trying to solve it recently ..

Ron

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2783
Kies sucks. Flash with Odin and no it don't matter about flash counter. Flash counter only matters when sending back to samsung service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewwright For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ophilar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwright View Post
Kies sucks. Flash with Odin and no it don't matter about flash counter. Flash counter only matters when sending back to samsung service.
Thanks. Flashed with Odin - something went wrong at first, then went fine and now the phone won't boot But I'm on the right track and lost my fear of Odin, so thanks

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2783
Factory reset it stock recovery and reboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewwright For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RazorMC
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
+1 to Odin.
Kies creates more problems than it solves.

~ RazorMC
Phone History

Quote:
Alcatel One Touch Easy || Nokia 3310 || Nokia 8210 || Nokia 8250 || Samsung C100 || Sony Ericsson T610 || Nokia N-Gage || Nokia 6260 || Nokia 6680 || Nokia 6300 || Nokia N73 Music || iMate Jama || Nokia N79 || Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S || Sony Xperia SL
Search XDA for solutions. Read sticky topics. Enjoy problem-free modding/flashing
~ RazorMC
The Following User Says Thank You to RazorMC For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ophilar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Factory reset it stock recovery and reboot.
That solved it. Unfortunately my phone would not connect to the cellular network stating "service is not available". Good thing I have a backup phone (in which the same SIM works ...)

Personally I don't think Kies is that back, but Samsung's mobile-related software (Android, apps, etc.) is truly bad. Kies was mainly useless when it was relevant ..

andrewwright
Old
Thanks Meter 2783
Once you come to XDA you should learn the best ways of doing things. Odin is a very good tool. Kies should be deleted once you come here and understand what odin can do. I didn't like odin at the start but have grown to have respect for its uses. Saved my s3 a few times :thumbup:

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewwright For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]