Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 36,781 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Restoring apps and data

Tip us?

videodj
Old
(Last edited by videodj; 6th January 2014 at 01:49 AM.) Reason: Spelling, incorrect word
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Restoring apps and data

Hi

I'm new to rooting and custom roms, so far I've rooted my s3 (i9305) and added a custom recovery. I'm currently looking for a custom rom to update the stock version I'm currently running (4.1.2). I have titanium backup installed and everything is backed up, however many of the posts I've read suggest not to restore apps + data from titanium backup. Can anyone explain why, is it just titanium backup that causes problems? What about using other backup apps like helium? Can I restore just the apps using titanium backup, or should I download from the play store instead?

For me the most important stuff is contacts and calendars (which are in my google account), so that's easy as I just re-add my account. My call logs and SMS are backup to my google account using SMS backup, so I assume it's ok to restore this data as well, I'd also like to be able to restore my firefox data.

Any advice would be appreciated to a noob, I know how to do it, just want to know what the potential risks are of restoring apps and data.

Thanks

Dave

Chadwick108
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Try app backup and restore if you have a lot of apps it could potentially take up quite a bit of space but you could always backup to cloud ,or external hard drive, or flash drive

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
Currently using RLS17.1 and Latest Safestrap version 3.72 on NC2 Bootloader in STOCK
Razr maxx also supporting hashcode running Safestraped and CM11 using as IP cam

Jumaqidi
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by videodj View Post
Hi

I'm new to rooting and custom roms, so far I've rooted my s3 (i9305) and added a custom recovery. I'm currently looking for a custom rom to update the stock version I'm currently running (4.1.2). I have titanium backup installed and everything is backed up, however many of the posts I've read suggest not to restore apps + data from titanium backup. Can anyone explain why, is it just titanium backup that causes problems? What about using other backup apps like helium? Can I restore just the apps using titanium backup, or should I download from the play store instead?

For me the most important stuff is contacts and calendars (which are in my google account), so that's easy as I just re-add my account. My call logs and SMS are backup to my google account using SMS backup, so I assume it's ok to restore this data as well, I'd also like to be able to restore my firefox data.

Any advice would be appreciated to a noob, I know how to do it, just want to know what the potential risks are of restoring apps and data.

Thanks

Dave
It is normally okay for u to restore apps. But not recommended if u are coming from touchwiz to aosp roms. The frameworks are different and u may experience force closes. U can try to see if u have force closes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you

VerlyAnanda
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by videodj View Post
Hi

Thanks

Dave
use titanum backup dude and restore app+data to save u data

Jumaqidi
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerlyAnanda View Post
use titanum backup dude and restore app+data to save u data
Obvious troll is obvious.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Give a thank if I helped you