Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Is root absolutely necessery for flashing ports?

OP thewalekk

28th January 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24

98 posts
Hi everybody. I learned so much from this forum (and also from others) in one year and tried to share my knowledge to those who try to learn like me.
Now i would like to share one of my experiences. i dont know if someone wrote about this, yet i could not find anywhere in this forum. When we share a "port" for example "s4 keyboard for s3", we say that we need root access in order to use this port. But when i think, if this apk files replace themselves with the original ones and rom thinks that they are the originals, why should we need root access? Of course we need recovery to flash them but do we absolutely need root? And i flashed 3 separate ports (keyboard, launcher and callrecord) into a fresh installed 4.3 MK6 stock rom without root and they worked... and still do... (scripts have to delete odex files automatically)

Installing a recovery will increase the binary counter and since your binary is up why not rooting right? But those who dont want to root their phone but still want to use the visuality, can install a recovery and flash the ports without rooting... Tested and proven...
28th January 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 5

29 posts
More
You need root access for applications/ports that will need to be installed in system directories (that only the superuser can alter). Some directories/partitions are read-only, so you have to mount the them as writable too. It all depends on the application.
28th January 2014, 10:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 24

98 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.sg

You need root access for applications/ports that will need to be installed in system directories (that only the superuser can alter). Some directories/partitions are read-only, so you have to mount the them as writable too. It all depends on the application.

If editing apps from rom then yes. But if you are flashing them through recovery you dont need root access for read and write permitions. Script also does that itself. Thats what im talking about

Galaxy S3 tapatalk 2 ile
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread