Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,463 Members 50,903 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

running android with no launcher app

Tip us?

demonoid phenomenom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default running android with no launcher app

hi all, its been a long time now since i first thought on running my phone without any homescreen/launcher app, since i am no fan of fancy animations, rather than that i prefer a phone that doesn't lag and have a decent battery life I've installed the simpliest slimest launcher i know (slim launcher) it weighs only 0.9 mb, but still it uses ram and processor to run, now given that I'm on slimkat it jumped to me again, having slim pie /notification shortcuts, ive decided to set all my apps into those tools, meaning fill up three slim pie rows with essential apps and notification shortcuts with the rest, but before i do anything i would like to read some insights from other users, possible limitations when deleting my last launcher app, and if it would/wouldn't be beneficial regarding battery life and performance, atm i see just one limitation and it's the number of apps i can install to my phone due to the limited amount of free spaces on slim pie + notification shortcuts

any thoughts would be pretty much appreciated

sent from the grey stuff inside my skull

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 351
Well you can't run android without any launcher...
And there can never be any limitation as to the number of apps you have to install unless there is no space on your internal sd card...
As to number of widgets ,home screens, apps in pie that is limited as to which launcher and which rom you are using...

Sent from my GT-I9300

demonoid phenomenom
Old
(Last edited by demonoid phenomenom; 24th March 2014 at 03:48 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
actually you can, I've managed to mess up slim launcher several times trying to make it system app and ending up with no launcher app, still phone can get phone calls, music player plays when headphone is plugged in, regarding on how many apps i can install i mean if im not able to acces them through a launcher app, i have limited spaces on which i can place it's shortcuts, on slimpie its 20 slots using normal press and long press, and notification shortcuts i don't know atm

edit I've deleted my last launcher app and it's pretty much smooth

sent from the grey stuff inside my skull