Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 40,250 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root S3 i9300 4.3 locked by carrier

Tip us?

paulsm
Old
(Last edited by paulsm; 29th April 2014 at 11:55 AM.) Reason: mistake writing download when meaning recovery mode
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Root S3 i9300 4.3 locked by carrier

First, sorry because this has been probably asked some times but I have read a lot and I'm still not 100% sure of what to do.

Objective: I want to root a Galaxy S3 i9300 locked by a carrier and android 4.3

Tried: I tried a method that involved to flash with odin the recovery Philz Touch 6.00.8 but after doing that when I go into recovery mode it doesn't show the install from zip option. So I suppose it means the phone still has the normal recovery and for that reason I'm not able to install supersu from recovery to root the device.

So I decided to do nothing else untill I'm sure which is the correct method to use.

I have read that maybe the CF-Auto-Root method is the one I should use but I want to be sure first. Can CF-Auto-Root method be used on a current 4.3 locked by carrier?

If not which would be the best method to root an S3 i9300 locked by carrier and already with android 4.3?

I would highly aprreciate too if you can tell me what is the best method to generate a full backup before starting to do anything on a not rooted device.

Thanks.

Benko111
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsm View Post
First, sorry because this has been probably asked some times but I have read a lot and I'm still not 100% sure of what to do.

Objective: I want to root a Galaxy S3 i9300 locked by a carrier and android 4.3

Tried: I tried a method that involved to flash with odin the recovery Philz Touch 6.00.8 but after doing that when I go into download mode it doesn't show the install from zip option. So I suppose it means the phone still has the normal recovery and for that reason I'm not able to install supersu from recovery to root the device.

So I decided to do nothing else untill I'm sure which is the correct method to use.

I have read that maybe the CF-Auto-Root method is the one I should use but I want to be sure first. Can CF-Auto-Root method be used on a current 4.3 locked by carrier?

If not which would be the best method to root an S3 i9300 locked by carrier and already with android 4.3?

I would highly aprreciate too if you can tell me what is the best method to generate a full backup before starting to do anything on a not rooted device.

Thanks.
Wise man. But you won't find 'install from zip' in Download Mode, got to boot into recovery (vol+ instead of vol-, home & power of course).
If you followed your guide correctly you'll probably find your recovery there and can just go on. From recovery you do a full backup, then install custom ROM via zip install as intended. Don't need neccessarily root for custom roms on i9300.
***Contact me for your localization or editorial needs. I do high quality german app and marketing info translations.***

paulsm
Old
(Last edited by paulsm; 29th April 2014 at 12:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benko111 View Post
Wise man. But you won't find 'install from zip' in Download Mode, got to boot into recovery (vol+ instead of vol-, home & power of course).
If you followed your guide correctly you'll probably find your recovery there and can just go on. From recovery you do a full backup, then install custom ROM via zip install as intended. Don't need neccessarily root for custom roms on i9300.
Sorry that's an error on my question. I go into recovery correctly (no download mode) but it doesn't show install zip from sdcard. It only shows the normal options from stock recovery (reboot, apply update from adb and from external storage, wipe data, wipe cache and apply update from cache). I'm going to correct that in the question.

About why I want to root. I want to sim unlock the phone. It is not to install custom roms.

Regards.

Benko111
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Sorry that's an error on my question. I go into recovery correctly (no download mode) but it doesn't show install from zip. It only shows the normal options from stock recovery. I'm going to correct that in the question.

About why I want to root. I want to sim unlock the phone. It is not to install custom roms.

Regards.
I see. In this case use Chainfires CF-Auto-Root solution you linked to, that's a fine method. But make sure you read and understand it precisely and stick exactly to the the stated model numbers.
If you don't understand anything ask first, you may save your device from bricking.

If you root and intend to flash regulary I warmly recommend skips Unified Toolkit which I'm a huge fan of:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-v7-0-t1703488
***Contact me for your localization or editorial needs. I do high quality german app and marketing info translations.***
The Following User Says Thank You to Benko111 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pnz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benko111 View Post
I see. In this case use Chainfires CF-Auto-Root solution you linked to, that's a fine method. But make sure you read and understand it precisely and stick exactly to the the stated model numbers.
If you don't understand anything ask first, you may save your device from bricking.

If you root and intend to flash regulary I warmly recommend skips Unified Toolkit which I'm a huge fan of:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-v7-0-t1703488
Not sure if the S3 does this, but some stock rom's overwrite custom recoveries when they boot (unless the recovery's had a chance to patch this). Had this problem with an S4. Flash Philz Touch. again, but this time untick 'Auto Reboot' in Odin. Then, after you're sure it's finished flashing (give it some time), turn off Odin, disconnect the USB cable and pull the battery. Put the battery back in, to get back into recovery hold the Volume up button, the home button and the power button until it vibrates, then release the home button and power button but keep holding the Volume up button until you get into Philz Touch. Then go into Advanced, and Power Off. Philz Touch will ask you if you want to root the phone before turning off (select yes). You should be able to get into Philz Touch whenever you want after this.

paulsm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnz View Post
Not sure if the S3 does this, but some stock rom's overwrite custom recoveries when they boot (unless the recovery's had a chance to patch this). Had this problem with an S4. Flash Philz Touch. again, but this time untick 'Auto Reboot' in Odin. Then, after you're sure it's finished flashing (give it some time), turn off Odin, disconnect the USB cable and pull the battery. Put the battery back in, to get back into recovery hold the Volume up button, the home button and the power button until it vibrates, then release the home button and power button but keep holding the Volume up button until you get into Philz Touch. Then go into Advanced, and Power Off. Philz Touch will ask you if you want to root the phone before turning off (select yes). You should be able to get into Philz Touch whenever you want after this.
I had read about someone that did that to make it work.

So if I try this, I would like to ask this first.

Would it be ok if I try it with a more up-to-date Philz Touch Recovery? In the instructions I found they are using Philz Touch 6.00.8 version but it looks that now the current version for i9300 is 6.26.6 released on 2014-04-15 (link found on xda-developers i9xx Philz Touch thread). So is it ok if I flash this more recent version?

SuperSu version that is installed from recovery following instructions would be UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip. So am I right if I say it would be ok to use the more recent UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip? (link found on xda-developers SuperSu thread)

And they are using Odin v3.07. I suppose it is ok to use Odin v3.09? (For what I read even v1.85 should work).

Regards.

Benko111
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I had read about someone that did that to make it work.

So if I try this, I would like to ask this first.

Would it be ok if I try it with a more up-to-date Philz Touch Recovery? In the instructions I found they are using Philz Touch 6.00.8 version but it looks that now the current version for i9300 is 6.26.6 released on 2014-04-15 (link found on xda-developers i9xx Philz Touch thread). So is it ok if I flash this more recent version?

SuperSu version that is installed from recovery following instructions would be UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip. So am I right if I say it would be ok to use the more recent UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip? (link found on xda-developers SuperSu thread)

And they are using Odin v3.07. I suppose it is ok to use Odin v3.09? (For what I read even v1.85 should work).

Regards.
Yes, use the latest stuff unless someone states to exactly use a certain version.

Tags
s3 i9300 galaxy