Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,315 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] turn s3 into camera only device temporarily

Tip us?

alphabetagammadelta
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Camera [Q] turn s3 into camera only device temporarily

Hi
Is there a way I can convert my S3 phone into a camera-only device for a few days?
The plan is that when I travel for vacations in woods, there is no network so I can save battery by disabling everything but the camera. And once I'm back, I can use it as a normal phone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Orangevenom
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagammadelta View Post
Hi
Is there a way I can convert my S3 phone into a camera-only device for a few days?
The plan is that when I travel for vacations in woods, there is no network so I can save battery by disabling everything but the camera. And once I'm back, I can use it as a normal phone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
While this would be a good idea im not sure it is possible because after all it is a phone...

Could you not just take a camera?
Model: Galaxy S3 (I9300)
Current ROM: ArchiDroid v2.3.4 (OmniRom)
Android Version: 4.4.2
Kernel Version. Googy Max

xpmode
Old
(Last edited by xpmode; 27th January 2014 at 05:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 318
Airplane mode and turning off every setting would be enough , but if you are determined, you can remove every app that is not related to the camera function. Make sure you take a Nandroid first.

Samsung Galaxy S III 16 GB White(again, so bored of Samsung)

Old:
HTC Explorer
Galaxy Note II 16 GB
Samsung Galaxy S III 32 GB White

The Following User Says Thank You to xpmode For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eatsleep
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Default Kidding

Delete the efs partition of your phone

You'll lose your IMEI, would'nt be able to connect to the network forever.
Ultimately, you will have a expensive camera-mp3 player-portable gaming console!!!!

P.S ------- Just kidding, never do it

Pierreken
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagammadelta View Post
Hi
Any suggestions?
Thanks
I've done a similar thing with a Samsung Galaxy Pocket I5300 or something like that. I wanted to transform it into an mp3 player with descent lcd, good speaker sound and battery life. What I did was delete all non-important apps with Titanium Backup. Tweaked the rom so the airplane mode was not visibel in the statusbar. Can't remember what I did to enforce the user interface into some type of kiosk mode. It was for my Godchild so I made the theme pink-ish with a Hello-Kitty wallpaper and bootscreen. It took a lot of work but the result was good. I'm sure the same can be done to use it as a camera. Just make sure make a full rom backup including the efs partition to go back to the previous state.