Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] s3 Fails Dimming test after toilet drop

OP doclees

10th June 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Hi folks, Haven't been here since my HTC tilt days. Wife dropped s3 in toilet and didn't take out battery right away. I took it apart about 10 hours later. Started with screen flicker. Dried it again over night and used hair dryer. I've used the on board diagnostic and all works fine except the dimmer test. Colors come up fine but when I tap to dim it dims and starts to flicker, goes black, flickers back, sometimes stays black or reboots. I've done a factory reset. I haven't seen any general screen flicker since. When it goes into sleep/screen saving mode it must go black for about 15 seconds before it is able to wake it up again.
Anyone know if this is motherboard, screen or software issue?
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to doclees For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #2  
Flag Coimbra
Thanks Meter: 162

738 posts
More
Obviously it's a hardware issue dude. Send it to a repair shop because it may needs a new thing.

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
12th June 2014, 12:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskorpiao112

Obviously it's a hardware issue dude. Send it to a repair shop because it may needs a new thing.

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

Thanks. figured I can bypass the problem if I don't let it dim. Set it to sleep only after 10 min. As long as you manually set it to sleep mode with the power button all seems good.
12th June 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #4  
Flag Coimbra
Thanks Meter: 162

738 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclees

Thanks. figured I can bypass the problem if I don't let it dim. Set it to sleep only after 10 min. As long as you manually set it to sleep mode with the power button all seems good.

Okay dude.
19th June 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
So it seems that this bypass doesn't hold up. So I used my s3 screen on the wife's motherboard- no problems. Then I used her screen on my motherboard- no problems. Put hers all together - problems start again. Any ideas on that?
18th July 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
update
So to follow up on this. I had to use my wife's water exposed S3 motherboard on my S3. All worked well. I must assume that the wife's screen is bad. I also noticed that this phone drains the battery 2-3 x as fast as it normally would. Anyone have a screen problem do this or is this probable of a screen dysfunction.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread