Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,239 Members 48,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] s3 Fails Dimming test after toilet drop

Tip us?

doclees
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] s3 Fails Dimming test after toilet drop

Hi folks, Haven't been here since my HTC tilt days. Wife dropped s3 in toilet and didn't take out battery right away. I took it apart about 10 hours later. Started with screen flicker. Dried it again over night and used hair dryer. I've used the on board diagnostic and all works fine except the dimmer test. Colors come up fine but when I tap to dim it dims and starts to flicker, goes black, flickers back, sometimes stays black or reboots. I've done a factory reset. I haven't seen any general screen flicker since. When it goes into sleep/screen saving mode it must go black for about 15 seconds before it is able to wake it up again.
Anyone know if this is motherboard, screen or software issue?
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to doclees For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eskorpiao112
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Obviously it's a hardware issue dude. Send it to a repair shop because it may needs a new thing.

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk

doclees
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskorpiao112 View Post
Obviously it's a hardware issue dude. Send it to a repair shop because it may needs a new thing.

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
Thanks. figured I can bypass the problem if I don't let it dim. Set it to sleep only after 10 min. As long as you manually set it to sleep mode with the power button all seems good.

eskorpiao112
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclees View Post
Thanks. figured I can bypass the problem if I don't let it dim. Set it to sleep only after 10 min. As long as you manually set it to sleep mode with the power button all seems good.
Okay dude.

doclees
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So it seems that this bypass doesn't hold up. So I used my s3 screen on the wife's motherboard- no problems. Then I used her screen on my motherboard- no problems. Put hers all together - problems start again. Any ideas on that?

doclees
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default update

So to follow up on this. I had to use my wife's water exposed S3 motherboard on my S3. All worked well. I must assume that the wife's screen is bad. I also noticed that this phone drains the battery 2-3 x as fast as it normally would. Anyone have a screen problem do this or is this probable of a screen dysfunction.