Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 47,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S3 is hot. I mean, it's hot! 3 mins on homescreen

Tip us?

Jumaqidi
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
My cpu ticks over at 300Mz when idling with screen on, see the attached. This is with all power saving options on. If yours is jammed at 1.4Ghz then either the kernel is corrupt (but you've reflashed) or the cpu has an internal issue.

Almost any app use will cause the cpu to jump to max frequency, so that doesn't mean anything.

All silicon is different, if yours is borderline specs then it may get warmer than another -provided the battery remains below 50 C then no problem.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Wat app did u use to see tat?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Sumea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
My cpu ticks over at 300Mz when idling with screen on, see the attached. This is with all power saving options on. If yours is jammed at 1.4Ghz then either the kernel is corrupt (but you've reflashed) or the cpu has an internal issue.

Almost any app use will cause the cpu to jump to max frequency, so that doesn't mean anything.

All silicon is different, if yours is borderline specs then it may get warmer than another -provided the battery remains below 50 C then no problem.

I think my battery swims in 40-46 celcius after a while of device just being open. 1.4ghz is normal ok, but why the excessive heat then. And two years ago I hoped i needn't to get another phone in at least three years since all I do these days at maximum is twitter and youtube on my phone. No games or anything...
And - at least to me noticing it this is recent. And I would since its hot enough that i feel it in my thigh after putting it in my pocket.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyYogurt View Post
Wat app did u use to see tat?

System Panel Lite

Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Jumaqidi
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumea View Post
I think my battery swims in 40-46 celcius after a while of device just being open. 1.4ghz is normal ok, but why the excessive heat then. And two years ago I hoped i needn't to get another phone in at least three years since all I do these days at maximum is twitter and youtube on my phone. No games or anything...
And - at least to me noticing it this is recent. And I would since its hot enough that i feel it in my thigh after putting it in my pocket.
Being at 1.4ghz all the time is the reason why ur phone heats up. So it is not okay. I think u btr send it for repair since it is not software based.

WellTrainedVC
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I have had the same issue with my S3 (SGH-T999). What I found was that the overheating occurred with a certain battery in use. Yes, I carry 4 batteries around with me. The oldest battery seemed to be giving me the problem with frequent overheating and a lot of reboot/shut down issues.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sumea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellTrainedVC View Post
I have had the same issue with my S3 (SGH-T999). What I found was that the overheating occurred with a certain battery in use. Yes, I carry 4 batteries around with me. The oldest battery seemed to be giving me the problem with frequent overheating and a lot of reboot/shut down issues.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I have two different batteries, this happens on both, extended and the normal one that came with the phone, so I eliminated that idea too.

WellTrainedVC
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Well bummer. Sorry I couldn't help you better. Do you use a full body screen protector with a case? You may also want to clean out the inside of the phone, under the casing. After almost two years the amount of dust and lint can really build up.

Sumea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellTrainedVC View Post
Well bummer. Sorry I couldn't help you better. Do you use a full body screen protector with a case? You may also want to clean out the inside of the phone, under the casing. After almost two years the amount of dust and lint can really build up.
Possible, I have not SCREWED it open ot anything myself, do not want to lose the warranty that still should be there.

RazorMC
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumea View Post
Possible, I have not SCREWED it open ot anything myself, do not want to lose the warranty that still should be there.
If your cpu is constantly running at 1.4ghz then that should be the first thing to fix. You can try to figure out what is causing the massive cpu load by installing a cpu monitoring app from the playstore.

If this is a hardware related issue, then you need to get it fixed. In either case, constantly high temperature can affect your cpu permanently.

~ RazorMC
Phone History

Quote:
Alcatel One Touch Easy || Nokia 3310 || Nokia 8210 || Nokia 8250 || Samsung C100 || Sony Ericsson T610 || Nokia N-Gage || Nokia 6260 || Nokia 6680 || Nokia 6300 || Nokia N73 Music || iMate Jama || Nokia N79 || Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S || Sony Xperia SL
Search XDA for solutions. Read sticky topics. Enjoy problem-free modding/flashing
~ RazorMC

nkirk
Old
Thanks Meter 20
If your rom is screwed. You'd rather perform a mega-wipe and flash stock nb6 firmware through desktop odin and see. I would give some time for it to settle and compare the temps.

Kernel - Boeffla kernel / Archi kernel / Arter kernel - One at a time
Cam - Note 2 JB 4.3